Orange Peel Questions / Opinions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Orange Peel Questions / Opinions

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 01-19-2013, 12:11 PM   #1
MoC
Web Wheeler

1986 CJ7 

Orange Peel Questions / Opinions

So I just had a craigslist painter paint my hood, grill, and fenders that are currently off the jeep for a engine swap. I supplied the paint. I used a premixed urethane base, with a acrylic lacquer primer and clear coat.

He painted them in his shop on a cold day when it was likely 35 outside. I was a little worried about the temp in his shop not getting warm enough, but he assured me that it was no problem. Well as expected when I picked them up yesterday the clear coat has orange peel. He said it should wet sand and buff out without issue, but I am looking for a few other opinions & tips before tackling the job. What do yall think? Will it wet sand and buff out? I am not looking for a show quality paint just want it to be nice enough that I can put the factory sticker package back on it and not feel like I wasted money doing so. I am planning on knocking out the body work on the rear and having the tub painted within the next 4 months or so.

Here is what I got...

MoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2013, 12:39 PM   #2
Unlimitedlou
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Wet sand and buff!
Unread 01-19-2013, 01:38 PM   #3
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Yeah...the paint, in the last picture, looks a little "grainy", where the light hits it...

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2013, 01:46 PM   #4
MoC
Web Wheeler

1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixcj View Post
Yeah...the paint, in the last picture, looks a little "grainy", where the light hits it...

Rich
It is. You get what you pay for right.?. I payed him $350 to paint it plus what I have in to the paint. He said he put 4 coats of clear down. Should wet sand and buff out?
Unread 01-19-2013, 01:53 PM   #5
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

With 4 coats of clear, I would think that you could get those parts as mirror-like as you want. Real nice color, BTW...

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2013, 01:56 PM   #6
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

You can wet sand and buff or pay him to do it. If you pay him to do it and something does not look good its all on him. If you buff it and something turns bad he will say it 100% your fault. It a no win situation. But it does look good in the pictures youve taken.

Ron

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2013, 12:09 AM   #7
NOCHEEPGAS
1980 CJ5 

He should have sanded and buffed it before releasing them to you!
NOCHEEPGAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2013, 07:35 PM   #8
prismfisher
1982 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOCHEEPGAS
I agree.... unless you specifically asked for substandard work..... it should be on HIM to do it to your satisfaction..... if you paid him substandard currency you would be even.
prismfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2013, 07:59 PM   #9
MoC
Web Wheeler

1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prismfisher

I agree.... unless you specifically asked for substandard work..... it should be on HIM to do it to your satisfaction..... if you paid him substandard currency you would be even.
Partially my fault..I did not establish if he was going to wet sand them or not. Again, get what you pay for. Everyone else I called wanted 200-300 per panel and he did all four for $350. Lesson learned.

Thanks for the replies. Planning on getting it installed before I start with the wet sanding and buffing.
Unread 01-21-2013, 02:19 AM   #10
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC View Post
Partially my fault..I did not establish if he was going to wet sand them or not. Again, get what you pay for. Everyone else I called wanted 200-300 per panel and he did all four for $350. Lesson learned.

Thanks for the replies. Planning on getting it installed before I start with the wet sanding and buffing.
The point they were trying to make is that any painter with ANY kind of pride would of never left orange peel like that leave his shop...

Orange peel is part of the painter's responsibility and it is HIS fault wether it be the temperature,spray gun problems,wrong reducer..etc..

Bottom line is,he left you an unfinished job no matter what you paid.

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2013, 07:03 AM   #11
MoC
Web Wheeler

1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOCHEEPGAS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by prismfisher View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker709 View Post
The point they were trying to make is that any painter with ANY kind of pride would of never left orange peel like that leave his shop...

Orange peel is part of the painter's responsibility and it is HIS fault wether it be the temperature,spray gun problems,wrong reducer..etc..

Bottom line is,he left you an unfinished job no matter what you paid.
Maybe I should have posted the question in the help me conduct my buisness fourm, however I did not and its in a paint tech fourm. I said I understood that point and came here looking for advise on how to fix the problem not on how to conduct my buisness...
Thanks to those who helped with the question I asked...
Unread 01-22-2013, 10:48 AM   #12
GlennLever
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Four coats of clear should be enough.

It might pay to have it done.

My restoration thread here on the Jeep forum
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...build-1269301/

New FED, Drag Racing Forum (I am an Administrator) at
http://www.frontenginedragsters.org/forum/index.php
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 10:51 AM   #13
CJ7ROB
1986 CJ7 

Looks good MOC for the price. I am hoping to paint my fenders, grill, hood, doors and tub as soon as the weather warms up..I'd be happy if it all turns out like yours with no runs. Did you do all the primer and body prep on the parts? Its expected to have some orange peel and to have to wetsand it out with 2000 and buff/polish out anyway. You should try it on one of the pieces and see how it turns out.
CJ7ROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 02:11 AM   #14
sbc61
1986 CJ7 

I would wet sand with 1500grit, use a professional buffer with variable speed, 3M super fine glaze then finish with 3M ultra fine machine glaze for best results. IMHO
Unread 01-23-2013, 06:52 PM   #15
prismfisher
1982 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC

Maybe I should have posted the question in the help me conduct my buisness fourm, however I did not and its in a paint tech fourm. I said I understood that point and came here looking for advise on how to fix the problem not on how to conduct my buisness...
Thanks to those who helped with the question I asked...
No need to get testy.....I work in the industrial paint industry as an inspector.... i just get irritated with shoddy work.... you are right just wet sand and buff and it will be a conversation piece for everyone that questions how your new paint job is substandard.
prismfisher is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.