ok VALSPAR tractor and imp. paint? reviews/tips? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > ok VALSPAR tractor and imp. paint? reviews/tips?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-22-2010, 07:02 PM   #1
mtnbktrek
1958 CJ5 

ok VALSPAR tractor and imp. paint? reviews/tips?

ok valspar tractor and implement paint tractor supply store like $30 a gallon whats the mix for thinning? im using the hardener as well. i know someone used this how did it do?

mtnbktrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2010, 11:02 PM   #2
mtnbktrek
1958 CJ5 

c'mon nobody?!?!
Unread 07-25-2010, 10:27 AM   #3
gtome

i did it once a looong time ago. Painted a truck for a coworker this crazy glow in the dark green color. I had no clue what i was doing then and he didnt care at all so....

He got it at a tractor supply place, but I dont remember how we thinned it now (was 20 years ago). But it looked great!!!! We shoved it outside in the sun to help it cure, and when we came back to check it the paint all cracked like a broken window. So...... take what you will from that. Im sure people use it with fine results, otherwise they wouldnt make it.

I saw one that another guy did, and it looked pretty bad too. It was real dull and flaking off in places, but I dont know how it was prepped.

As far as mixing it now that I have been painting a while......... I still dont know what they use, but it will say on the can. And im sure you mix it to where it sprays out of the gun. A season to taste type thing. Probly cant go over 20% mix though.
gtome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2010, 08:32 PM   #4
Cjensenr
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I've had personal experience with Val-spar and it was crap. It did nothing more then chip, flake, crack and chip some more. My buddy acid dipped it to clean all of the crap back of my prerunner tube.

C.
Cjensenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2010, 10:27 PM   #5
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

All cans say right on the side. It might be 4-1-1, But it will list it like that on the can of paint. If you have never sprayed it mix a cup/gun worth at a time, Depending on your weather and humidity that day might have to add here or there. Just regular enamel paint, But prepared to wear half of it unless spraying outside.
I have better luck adding a little more hardener in the mixture but thats the way i like it, And i put the first coat on real heavy to where it will almost run. But to avoid cracks, Well at least right away, Dont let the sun hit it for 36 to 48 hours. It will have different and more flash times than base/clear. Only my opinion, Take extra time in prep and you will more than likely have a better paint job. Good luck
Unread 07-27-2010, 07:07 PM   #6
ISUzj
2005 WK 

Personally I would use Van Sickle if you can get it, it is a smaller paint company that specializes in implement paint and they are just as good as some automotive paints, when I get my chance, I am going to paint my jeep New Holland Red. with a roller.
~~[_---_____---_\-\\\\\\-\
~~~(o) )-o---(o) )-o---) )
94ZJ 5.2 Red; Rusty's 3" Coils,Skyjacker hydro's, Brush Guard, Custom Rear Bumper, Custom Roof Rack, KVG Quick Discos, 31-10.50-15's DAYTON TIMBERLINE A/T OBA 2 Gallon tank
Can't buy it? BUILD IT!! Do it cheap too cuz your in college

My Build Thread Align your jeep yourself B N B#175
ISUzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 01:52 PM   #7
gtome

Or how bout this stuff that is made for autos? And almost as cheap.... but has way nicer colors.
Acrylic Urethane Car Paint Kits: Automotive Paint, Auto Paint, Car Paint
Unread 07-29-2010, 11:56 AM   #8
turpehar
Web Weiner

1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtome View Post
Or how bout this stuff that is made for autos? And almost as cheap.... but has way nicer colors.
Acrylic Urethane Car Paint Kits: Automotive Paint, Auto Paint, Car Paint
This is a much better option. I've recommended this to old biker dudes who can't believe they have been paying so much for simple black urethane. A one gallon single stage kit gives you about 1 3/8 gallon of sprayable material for right at $80 delivered.

There are quite a few stock colors to choose from.

Here are some examples of what I have used Paintforcars on.
Adding pearl to the first coat or two of clear is quite amazing (boat and bike tank)

(Trial + error)*Upgrades) - $ = (mac-n-cheese/hot dogs)+experience

https://www.facebook.com/CentralILOffRoad

http://centraliloffroad.com/
turpehar is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 03:29 AM   #9
mtnbktrek
1958 CJ5 

thx for the comments nice pics,...kkiowatj-i was looking for the ratio on the can and it was spelled out 1gal to 8 oz of reducer and 8oz of hardener per gallon (not required) thx again
Unread 07-30-2010, 10:05 AM   #10
gtome

Quote:
Originally Posted by turpehar View Post
This is a much better option. I've recommended this to old biker dudes who can't believe they have been paying so much for simple black urethane. A one gallon single stage kit gives you about 1 3/8 gallon of sprayable material for right at $80 delivered.

There are quite a few stock colors to choose from.

Here are some examples of what I have used Paintforcars on.
Adding pearl to the first coat or two of clear is quite amazing (boat and bike tank)

Hey!! Thanks for posting those!! I can never get a chance to try that stuff and i have been wondering how well it worked. Most of the restos I do are high end and the guys want a little better stuff. Looks great to me!! Im gunna try some on my own crap soon!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.