A Nissan Sentra tried to lodge itself in my tailpipe... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > A Nissan Sentra tried to lodge itself in my tailpipe...

Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Zone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-23-2012, 03:53 AM   #1
samseifert
1993 YJ Wrangler 

A Nissan Sentra tried to lodge itself in my tailpipe...

Ok... So first the story:
I was stopped at a stoplight Friday, on Main St. in Springfield, Oregon, when a Nissan Sentra decided that it REALLY wanted to be wedged underneath my rear bumper. She hit me going about 45+, pushed her radiator all the way back to her windshield, and pushed me into a VW Jetta in front, which then hit a T-bird. The Nissan was trashed, the Jetta's back seats were pushed to the back of the front seats, and the T-bird took some rear bumper damage... I drove my heep home. That made me puff my chest up a bit with pride. Thankfully, noone was seriously injured, although I've got a pretty bad case of whiplash... Now, on to my poor YJ.

My insurance company is going to appraise her on Monday, and I think I'm going to have to beg and plead for them not to total it. Being old and high mileage and all. If they do total it, I fully intend to keep it anyway, but having a branded title kinda sucks. Not that I'll ever sell her. Here's the list of broken stuff, any advice on how to fix it/best solutions is appreciated:

1. Rear bumper. Need a new one. Bent my receiver all the way to the gas tank shroud, and quite possibly dented the tank. It appears that the frame is fine, and just the brackets bent/broke.

2. Driver's seat.... I slammed back into it so hard that I permanently bent it so that I have to drive "Gangsta style" and the base feels like I could just rip the seat off the floor with some good leverage.

3. Blinker paddle... (You know, the switch thingy on the steering column...) I broke it off with my knee. Already got the stub out, just read that there's a cheaper GM replacement than the OEM Jeep part? Need more details.

4. Front bumper... It's tweaked enough to pinch that little plastic plate that says "JEEP"... a good half to 3/4 inch... Again, close inspection of the frame doesn't show any warp or damage, just the front bumper/brackets again.

5. Now for the worse news of it. I had the doors off and the top off when all this happened. It seems that she went so far under the *** end of my jeep, lifting it up, that the body right at the front bottom corner of the door frames tweaked a little. More on the driver side than the passenger, but enough that my driver door is a major pain to close when I put them back on. I need a body guys advice for this, can I just prop the tub near that point and winch down on the back? It's not creased, just bubbled in/out a bit. I can deal with it if necessary, it's just that I had an almost pristine YJ before this, (No rust, no body damage other than the "redneck pinstriping" that I've installed and a lot of freaking dirt/mud/bits of trail) and now I'm pissed.

If you guys know of any shops that you'd recommend in the Eugene/Springfield Oregon area that I can make my insurance pay for, that would be appreciated, as well as any DIY knowledge on these issues. I'm going to look at this as an excuse to dump a bunch of money into the thing heh...

samseifert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2012, 05:19 AM   #2
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

by what your describing I can almost guarantee that your frame is bent. Tell tale sign is the plastic piece in the front. Get a bunch of pictures uploaded to prove me different
Glad your pretty much all right

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2012, 05:30 AM   #3
samseifert
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I will take pics later today. I can't tell you for sure, but it really just looks like it pushed the top of the bumper back enough to bend the plastic. But yeah. Pictures to come.
Unread 09-23-2012, 07:21 AM   #4
mrmark
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by samseifert View Post
I will take pics later today. I can't tell you for sure, but it really just looks like it pushed the top of the bumper back enough to bend the plastic. But yeah. Pictures to come.
considering the bumper is tight to the frame how do you explain the loss of space without a bend in the frame? Do you also have pics of the other cars?

The problems of owning 2 Jeeps ... I never know which one to work on or which YJ gets the next mod ...
mrmark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2012, 07:21 AM   #5
Mechman71
1989 YJ Wrangler 

A sure sign of a bent frame on a Jeep is a bend under the door, usually at the front of the opening, in the rocker panel. Unfortunately this also means your tub is tweaked. The only repair for this is to make it a strictly off-road rig and beat it until it dies. Given that it's a Jeep, that could take a while...

Make sure you get that whiplash taken care of, that could be far worse than the damage to your heep. Ask me how I know....

Personally, I'd take the payout for the total (I wouldn't settle for less than $5k for a stock DD, time to start digging out your receipts), source another frame and tub, buy your old Jeep back from the insurance for a couple hundred and start building a new/old rig. If you are a good shopper, you could end up building a practically new ride while you recover from the whiplash. You might even have a few bucks left over at the end of the day.
Unread 09-23-2012, 07:28 AM   #6
mrmark
1994 YJ Wrangler 

too bad he doesn't live near here I saw a tub on CL the other day

The problems of owning 2 Jeeps ... I never know which one to work on or which YJ gets the next mod ...
Unread 09-23-2012, 08:38 AM   #7
90DesertTanYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmark View Post
too bad he doesn't live near here I saw a tub on CL the other day

I saw the same tub. Dont need it but its there.
90DesertTanYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2012, 03:28 PM   #8
samseifert
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Where is here? I may be open to taking a road trip. On the other hand, I don't think I'm going to need a new tub. I took a bunch of pictures, but I'm at the doctor, so I'll post it up when I get home. Apparently a swollen neck, and limited use of my left arm is enough for the gf to throw a fit and force me to go to the doc. Will update soon.
Unread 09-23-2012, 05:41 PM   #9
mrmark
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The tub is Daytona, FL can't get much further from you.

Unread 09-23-2012, 06:16 PM   #10
samseifert
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Lol! Ok then, yeah, bit more than a road trip. :-(
Unread 09-23-2012, 07:58 PM   #11
VirginJeeper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Don't mess around with whiplash dude, it may not jack you up now but later on you'll feel it. You worry about that and let us look at some pics and help you through the process of the heap of s*it they call insurance settlements. If you speak with anyone about it. Do NOT tell them you are ok. Tell them "I'm consulting with professionals about my current physical condition and also discussing what is fair and appropriate for the damage to my vehicle" leave it with them and don't commit to anything. You DONT have to settle within 24hours or however quickly they try to rush you. I took 3 weeks to decide who was fixing my jeep, what was being fixed and how I was to be compensated. I'm no lawyer and I don't feel the common man HAS to have one to be treated fairly. Rant over. Dang I'm becoming my father.
VirginJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2012, 02:01 AM   #12
samseifert
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'm with you man, and I appreciate the advice. I ended up having to deal with some family stuff today, so unfortunately pics will have to wait until tomorrow. Sorry!
Unread 09-24-2012, 04:14 AM   #13
Nafpu
2012 KK Liberty 

Sympathy from a fellow Oregonian! Keep us all posted on the outcome!
Nafpu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2012, 08:43 AM   #14
bikerdude
1987 YJ Wrangler 

When I rolled mine, I tweaked the tub bad enough that neither door would close. For a "temporary" fix since it was the middle of winter in Wisconsin, I used a bottle jack and a board horizontally to spread the top of the door opening so the door would fit. That "temporary" fix was in 1994 and I still haven't changed anything more with it since the doors still work, although I added sliders to the rockers this year that cover up the wrinkles in the tub at the front of the door opening.
bikerdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2012, 08:59 AM   #15
VirginJeeper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

When you have a moment take a tape measure and get underneath the Jeep and take some quick measurements from frame to frame, front rear in about 1 foot increments. i went to look at a jeep and did this and I found that the frame was bent from an unreported rear end collision. The frames are tough but dang you had a pretty bad collision. Keep us updated.
VirginJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.