New paint jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > New paint jeep

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGAlloy USA Still Available

Unread 10-14-2012, 07:36 PM   #1
rfere

New paint jeep

Yes hi just painted my jeep black from green and I was wondering what I could do to take out orange peal and what can I do to make it shiny I am so bad with cars

DG

rfere is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 02:22 PM   #2
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Wet sand and buff if there is enough paint on the body.

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2012, 07:53 PM   #3
GilNewJeeper
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I rattle canned my YJ a year ago and want to do a little better so I got Durabak OD. I saw a few rolled paint jobs and they look awesome, what kind of roller should I use to apply the Durabak?

GilNewJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2012, 04:39 PM   #4
rfere

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilNewJeeper
I rattle canned my YJ a year ago and want to do a little better so I got Durabak OD. I saw a few rolled paint jobs and they look awesome, what kind of roller should I use to apply the Durabak?

Idk mine was a spray gun sorry
Unread 10-19-2012, 12:37 PM   #5
KMD
1976 CJ7 

Wet sand and buff as said is the only way. Care full around edges as they knock back down to the primer/steel fast.

Start with 800 or 1000 grit sand paper and progressively move to higher grit. then compound,then polish. then wax. See you in a few weeks lol.
Unread 10-19-2012, 03:49 PM   #6
rfere

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMD
Wet sand and buff as said is the only way. Care full around edges as they knock back down to the primer/steel fast.

Start with 800 or 1000 grit sand paper and progressively move to higher grit. then compound,then polish. then wax. See you in a few weeks lol.
Can someone please do it for me wax and wax and make it shiny
Unread 10-19-2012, 04:19 PM   #7
Sahara Surfer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

If you wet sand the clear coat dull, you may have to reapply clear coat. In which case, you will have to examine your setup to find the cause of your orange peel.

What kind of gun, nozzle size did you use to apply the clear coat? I use a 1.3mm tip to effectively atomize the clear coat (This works for PPG Deltron DCU2021). Also, it's very important remove humidity from the environment and the line. Make sure humidity in your painting area is less than 65% Grab yourself a cheap humidity gauge from Home depot. Dessicant filters are a must. As painfully slow as it is, you have to respect the recommended flash times. Also, it is very important to have lots of soft flourescent light on the surface. That way, you can monitor how your paint is laying down.

As mentioned, increasing the pressure on the gun also helps.

When I shoot clear coat, I make it a goal to get it on right the first time and avoid having to wet sand. For me, wet sanding decreases some of the shine in the finish. Apply the buffing compound with a rotary machine buffer and a soft buffing terry cloth head. Don't try to buff it by hand.

I repainted sections of my Jeep in my garage earlier this year:

I learned by trial and error, but I finally was able to spray on orange peel free sections.
Sahara Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2012, 05:15 PM   #8
rfere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahara Surfer
If you wet sand the clear coat dull, you may have to reapply clear coat. In which case, you will have to examine your setup to find the cause of your orange peel.

What kind of gun, nozzle size did you use to apply the clear coat? I use a 1.3mm tip to effectively atomize the clear coat (This works for PPG Deltron DCU2021). Also, it's very important remove humidity from the environment and the line. Make sure humidity in your painting area is less than 65% Grab yourself a cheap humidity gauge from Home depot. Dessicant filters are a must. As painfully slow as it is, you have to respect the recommended flash times. Also, it is very important to have lots of soft flourescent light on the surface. That way, you can monitor how your paint is laying down.

As mentioned, increasing the pressure on the gun also helps.

When I shoot clear coat, I make it a goal to get it on right the first time and avoid having to wet sand. For me, wet sanding decreases some of the shine in the finish. Apply the buffing compound with a rotary machine buffer and a soft buffing terry cloth head. Don't try to buff it by hand.

I repainted sections of my Jeep in my garage earlier this year:

I learned by trial and error, but I finally was able to spray on orange peel free sections.
Can u do it for me
Unread 10-19-2012, 09:31 PM   #9
KMD
1976 CJ7 

We can do it for you but it is gonna cost you.
Unread 10-21-2012, 04:32 PM   #10
rfere

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMD
We can do it for you but it is gonna cost you.
How much I just want my jeep shiny
Unread 10-22-2012, 02:15 AM   #11
KMD
1976 CJ7 

where you located?
Unread 10-22-2012, 05:53 AM   #12
rfere

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMD
where you located?
Queensbury ny

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.