need help with windshield hinges - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > need help with windshield hinges

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinLedlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!

Unread 05-07-2013, 07:51 PM   #1
rwodgreen
1983 CJ7 

need help with windshield hinges

I am repainting my 83 CJ7. I am removing all the lights, fenders, door hinges, etc. I borrowed a tool to remove the torque bits holding the front windshield on. It's a hammer something or other that you hit and it turns the screw head. At any rate, while beating on these to loosen them I have stripped many of them out and they are still in the bracket/frame. They turn but won't back out. Anybody out there ever gone through this?

rwodgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 07:54 PM   #2
HurricaneRZA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Happens a lot to the YJ guys too, a lot of folks either try drilling them out or welding a nut onto the bolt heads and use lots of heat to break those suckers loose.
[QUOTE=doublins;15539665]I always get people coming over and saying things like "I wish I knew how to do that," etc- but they don't realize- at some point I didn't know how to do it either- I had to figure it out.[/QUOTE]
HurricaneRZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 07:19 PM   #3
drerict
1983 CJ7 

I am doing the same thing. The lower hinge bolt have nuts under the dash, the uppers are capture nuts in the windshield frame. I had to weld two different nuts (one on each side lower hole) because the torx head bolt stripped out.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.