Need help! Rust Repair for a '85 CJ7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Need help! Rust Repair for a '85 CJ7

Warn and Smittybilt Free Shipping OfferIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 09-07-2010, 06:42 PM   #1
TylerCJ7
1985 CJ7 

Need help! Rust Repair for a '85 CJ7

I just bought my first vehicle with my own money, a '85 CJ7 with a 258 and a 4 Speed. It runs good, except for my clutch slipping (getting fixed) and my floor needs some repairs. Does anyone in the Hampton Roads area know of any places that would repair my tub? Would Maaco or Hall Automotive Collision Center do it? I honestly don't have the money to buy a new tub, and honestly the rust doesn't look that bad in this. Give me opinions or suggestions guys. I honestly don't care about what my jeep looks like color wise, I just want my tub fixed. Thank you for whoever replies.

The first 2 pictures are from behind the driver's seat.

The 3rd picture is from the front of the passenger seat.

The 4th picture is from behind the passenger's seat.

driver-side-behind-seat.jpg   driver-side-behind-seat-2.jpg   passenger-side-front.jpg   passenger-side-behind-seat.jpg  
TylerCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2010, 07:08 PM   #2
rclark678
1984 CJ7 

I see you mentioned places but do you know anyone with a welder? I had that same issue on my 84 CJ7 I just bought. I/we cut the metal till we got to good metal approx 4x6 area under each side of roll bar and up the back kick pan. For an added bonus to my issue's I also had some small rust holes in the rear floor pan and just cut the whole thing out and bought a new one. Now I am rust free! Good luck and congrats on the Jeep!!
rclark678 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2010, 07:09 PM   #3
brownbagg
1930 MK Compass 

under neigh the roll bar is gone, under the seat belt holder is gone, floor boards is gone and proberly the side under "Jeep" and at the rear by seat belt holder on outside. they all rust here. most is because somebody had carpet in it. I got four in my yard that all have this same problem.

but it easy to fix, and no dont take it no where. do it yourself, what cant do it. wrong answer , do it yourself anyway. take it some where, they will charge you 65 dollar a hour for about 25 hours. So do it yourself. Go harbor freight buy you a jigsaw, a small grinder, some cardboard and if you are brave. a small welder.

trace a pattern on cardboard, cut the metal with the pattern and either, bolt, pop rivet or weld. cant weld, well it about time you learn, and what a better way.

still cant do it, then sell the jeep and buy a chevette
brownbagg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2010, 07:31 PM   #4
TylerCJ7
1985 CJ7 

Do you guys know if it'd be worth the money to buy the Quadratec stamped floor pan replacements? I'm thinking MAYBE for the rear, but I'm questionable about the front.
Unread 09-07-2010, 10:03 PM   #5
mikeumkc
2009 JK Wrangler 

what I would do......

there is only rust THROUGH in a couple areas. I would save up some money to do it right down the road. For now, I would get some phosphoric acid (home depot sells it in the paint department). Spray that on any of the rusted areas. What it does is convert iron oxide (rust) to ferric phosphate. ferric phosphate is black in color and hard as a rock. It wont rust in that spot again. At that point, you can paint it or just leave it how it is.

I did this myself on the jeep I JUST bought last week. There were quite a few areas of rust in the floor pan (only one quarter sized hole). I took out all the interior, just a few bolts, and sprayed the acid over any rusty area. let it dry overnight. its solid as a can be. I'm going to hurculine the inside of the tub next weekend.

I'd recommend this to anyone on a budget.
Unread 09-08-2010, 06:15 AM   #6
rclark678
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerCJ7 View Post
Do you guys know if it'd be worth the money to buy the Quadratec stamped floor pan replacements? I'm thinking MAYBE for the rear, but I'm questionable about the front.
I'm not sure about quadratec, but I bought one off Ebay for $50 bucks 18ga all total. Get a good spot weld cutter and go to town. Took about a good day to actually get it out, and another to put it in.

done
rclark678 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2010, 09:01 AM   #7
knowlwk@snowhill.com
1980 CJ7 

mikeumkc, don't herc over the rust man.. you'll just create more work for yourself. The rust will continue under the herc and one day you'll fall through. That's the good part... the bad part is that when you go to fix it, you'll have to remove the herc and that is a total nightmare. Ask me how I know... LOL
Unread 09-08-2010, 02:46 PM   #8
mikeumkc
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlwk@snowhill.com View Post
mikeumkc, don't herc over the rust man.. you'll just create more work for yourself. The rust will continue under the herc and one day you'll fall through. That's the good part... the bad part is that when you go to fix it, you'll have to remove the herc and that is a total nightmare. Ask me how I know... LOL
I agree with your 100%. Thats why I neutralized the rust with the phosphoric acid (OSPHO is a popular brand). Then I will herculine it and I have some por-15 left over from something else that I'm going to put on the underbody of the jeep. At least the parts I can get to without taking the body off.
Unread 09-08-2010, 03:37 PM   #9
TylerCJ7
1985 CJ7 

Thanks for the responses guys. I know how to weld, its just I need to see if I can rent one from Home Depot. I've got one question though, how far would this floor reach?

Orignal Replacement Parts Floor from Quardatec

Also, would this help too?

Replacement Steel Step Brace
Unread 09-08-2010, 06:02 PM   #10
TylerCJ7
1985 CJ7 

I just came up with an ingenious idea...can I fiberglass the holes I have?
Unread 09-08-2010, 06:38 PM   #11
TylerCJ7
1985 CJ7 

Forget it, I think i'll just go get a floor. ):
Unread 09-08-2010, 07:29 PM   #12
kavephish
1981 CJ5 

From my own experience, once you start grinding away at the rust, especially under the roll bar, you will find that the cancer extends well beyond just the floor. Fiberglassing will not work well in arears where structural support is required, unless you reinforce it with metal and use a dung load of fiberglass. You'd be better off swapping the old tub for a rust free YJ tub. You can probably get one cheaper than all the panels and materials you will need to patch the old one back together.
kavephish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.