Need Help - Removing Hand Painted Accents - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Need Help - Removing Hand Painted Accents

Custom Axle Work at CCORRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Swag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 02-07-2010, 06:51 PM   #1
meon2wheels
2011 JK Wrangler 

Need Help - Removing Hand Painted Accents

I recently bougtht a used CJ-7. Body and paint are really nice, but the PO hand painted swirls and other accents over the top of the paint job. They did a nice job - it's just not my thing. Can I safely remove this paint without affecting the clear coat, and if so how? I've got a whole array of tools, buffers, sanders, rubbing & polishing compounds, just have never attempted something like this before. See pic.

jeepblue01.jpg  
meon2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2010, 08:04 PM   #2
GREASEMONKEY
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I remove decals, paint, ect.. on a regular basis. If the acents are hand painted i would use a can of 3M adhesive remover. It will soften the paint, you can use a razor, and carefully scrape it clear, and wipe it down with the adhesive remover after you are done. Then just wash it off, and use some clear coat restorer, or fine buffing compound, a good coat of way, and your scrole work free.

http://www.shop3m.com/3m-adhesive-cl...235q1mcr9.html
My Ammo Can Console
------------------------------------------------------
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

Last edited by GREASEMONKEY; 02-07-2010 at 08:14 PM..
GREASEMONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2010, 05:16 PM   #3
meon2wheels
2011 JK Wrangler 

Thanks Rubirocker. Never used the stuff before but I'll give it a try. Do I apply the adhesive remover with a cloth and rub or with a small brush and let it soak until the paint softens? Will the adhesive remover soften the clearcoat if I use too much or don't get it off quick enough? Jim
meon2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2010, 07:36 PM   #4
GREASEMONKEY
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I use a rag for things like paint, tree sap, and road grime. I just soak the entire area where a decal is being removed, then scrape it. I have left his stuff on vehicles that are surpluss, and going to sale. It has never damaged the clear coat that i have seen. I imagine that in the corect circumstance it can. I use it on my jeep to remove decals, and cleaned off over spray froma rattle cann.
My Ammo Can Console
------------------------------------------------------
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.
GREASEMONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.