Need advice on paint - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Need advice on paint

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 09-06-2012, 09:01 PM   #1
ferreira210
2008 WK 

Need advice on paint

I have a couple concerns. I found a rust spot on my truck but on the roof. Should i get just that little part painted. or should i paint the entire truck. its a black 2008 grand cherokee diesel. please any advice helps thanks!!

ferreira210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2012, 09:07 PM   #2
swaugie
2011 JK Wrangler 

if the rest of the truck still has the factory paint on it, my suggestion would be to leave it alone. generally speaking, the factory paint is much better than even a brand new paint job out of the finest of body shops. the clearcoat is much harder from the factory and will hold up better to being wetsanded and buffed. jmho.
swaugie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2012, 03:28 AM   #3
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferreira210 View Post
I have a couple concerns. I found a rust spot on my truck but on the roof. Should i get just that little part painted. or should i paint the entire truck. its a black 2008 grand cherokee diesel. please any advice helps thanks!!
I'd sand and paint the whole roof itself..easier to blend in with the body lines...if you just do a spot or 2 it'll stick out like a sore thumb.

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2012, 03:33 AM   #4
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaugie View Post
if the rest of the truck still has the factory paint on it, my suggestion would be to leave it alone. generally speaking, the factory paint is much better than even a brand new paint job out of the finest of body shops. the clearcoat is much harder from the factory and will hold up better to being wetsanded and buffed. jmho.

If you just leave it alone you'll be cutting out and replacing rotted sheetmetal,making for a very expensive job..............

The factory paints on any vehicle is the same exact paint that can be bought over the counter at any auto body supply store....no difference what so ever..................

Never forget 9/11

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Unread 09-19-2012, 12:22 PM   #5
ferreira210
2008 WK 

thanks for the advice guys
ferreira210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2012, 08:20 PM   #6
Doctor7474
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker709 View Post

If you just leave it alone you'll be cutting out and replacing rotted sheetmetal,making for a very expensive job..............

The factory paints on any vehicle is the same exact paint that can be bought over the counter at any auto body supply store....no difference what so ever..................
It's not the paint that is different it's the curing procedure. In the factory they paint and cure the body in ovens at much higher temps and longer periods of time than you can in any body shop because the factory does this before putting on all the rubber and plastic bits that would melt in the baking process. This produces a much harder material than you could reproduce in a paint booth with a fully assembled vehicle.

Most body shops now a days will not do a complete respray for anything less than a small fortune (and if they do its going to be a Maaco job) as they don't want the head ache of dealing with the customer coming back because the quality is not up to the original.

Never touch factory paint if you can help it.
Doctor7474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2012, 06:05 AM   #7
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor7474 View Post
It's not the paint that is different it's the curing procedure. In the factory they paint and cure the body in ovens at much higher temps and longer periods of time than you can in any body shop because the factory does this before putting on all the rubber and plastic bits that would melt in the baking process. This produces a much harder material than you could reproduce in a paint booth with a fully assembled vehicle.

Most body shops now a days will not do a complete respray for anything less than a small fortune (and if they do its going to be a Maaco job) as they don't want the head ache of dealing with the customer coming back because the quality is not up to the original.

Never touch factory paint if you can help it.
Baking the paint only speeds up the curing process so the vehicle can be assembled quickly,baking it on has nothing to do with durability....it's still the same exact coating...........whether it was baked on,or air cured,its still the same exact blend of paints.........
If you'll do your research a lil more,you'll find out coatings that take longer to cure are tougher in the long run once fully cured............
And thats the first i've ever heard of a body shop not wanting to do a re-coat because they fear the customer will come back because it would supposedely be less quality than an assembly line paint job..it's quite the opposite...assembly line coatings are just above average at best compared to a quality coating put on by a professional.....

If high production factory paint jobs were so great,then why do you see so many factory paints fail in a few short years compared to a quality paint by a body shop or body man?.............

I'd put my own work with a good Epoxy primer..good base coat and good clear coat up against any of the high production paint jobs any day.......

Never forget 9/11

Unread 03-05-2013, 07:52 PM   #8
swaugie
2011 JK Wrangler 

I'll take your word for it but my experience working as a detailer was much different. Factory paint was much easier to work with and didn't take anywhere near the effort the cars coming out of the body shop did.
swaugie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 12:41 AM   #9
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaugie View Post
I'll take your word for it but my experience working as a detailer was much different. Factory paint was much easier to work with and didn't take anywhere near the effort the cars coming out of the body shop did.
The tougher the paint,the harder it is to sand and buff out......

Never forget 9/11

Unread 03-10-2013, 08:41 AM   #10
lobukjeep
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Back in the day alot of it was what clear you were using to spray with.We would spray with that old dupont 7500s in the yellow can and it was horrible.Hard as a rock..Then we got the 7600s and it was much better.Lets not even mention IMRON..Then as the years went on i think think technology caught up and everybody had a decent product.I like PPG myself..I would just have the roof fixed and like Ironworker said ..they can just paint the roof and blend into the quarters.Easily enough done if you are a half knowledgeable painter.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.