My rolled on paint job - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > My rolled on paint job

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-17-2014, 10:25 AM   #106
BrianP789
1998 TJ Wrangler 

One quick tip I haven't seen mentioned in this thread... Grounding whatever panel you're working on will help prevent dust in the paint by eliminating static electricity. You can do this simply by cleaning an inconspicuous spot to bare metal with a dremel or something similar, and attaching a length of chain in any convenient method (nut and bolt, alligator clip, even a magnet, you just need good clean metal to metal contact). Let the chain tail lay on the floor wherever you're working. Not going to make your $100 paint job a $1000 paint job, but it does help, especially in a dusty garage.

BrianP789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2014, 12:18 PM   #107
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianP789 View Post
One quick tip I haven't seen mentioned in this thread... Grounding whatever panel you're working on will help prevent dust in the paint by eliminating static electricity. You can do this simply by cleaning an inconspicuous spot to bare metal with a dremel or something similar, and attaching a length of chain in any convenient method (nut and bolt, alligator clip, even a magnet, you just need good clean metal to metal contact). Let the chain tail lay on the floor wherever you're working. Not going to make your $100 paint job a $1000 paint job, but it does help, especially in a dusty garage.
By my own admission I am no painter and I do recognize that dust is an issue but isn't it more of problem deal when you spray the paint?

One thing about the rolled on paint job if done indoors is there is little air movement Since no sprayer is involved. BUT, if grounding the body which is easy enough to do, might improve the finish... I say ground it baby!!

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2014, 04:59 PM   #108
hardluk
1987 YJ Wrangler 

So how's this paint holding up? Any signs of a needed recoat?
hardluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2014, 05:54 PM   #109
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk View Post
So how's this paint holding up? Any signs of a needed recoat?
The paint has held up well! It doesn't get washed unless it rains. For the cost of the paint, and it's reputation, the Rustoleum Topsider paint was a great choice.

There are other brands of paint that would probably work just as well. I chose it for what I knew about the brand already and it was sitting on the shelf at my local home cheapo!

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
Unread 05-20-2014, 08:11 PM   #110
gps4
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman View Post
I have been thinking about the HT color. It was the factory spice color and I found it to be a bit to 'orangy' now that the body color was very light. My first thought was to go with satin of flat black. That would have worked but the wife thought that a color that was very close to what the spice looked like but a bit less 'orangy' would be nice.

So off to Home Cheapo to look at what the had on the shelves. I grabbed a quart of Rustoleum Painter's Choice Nutmeg # 240284 latex based paint. It is very close to the stock color but has little if any 'orangy' in it.

I cleaned the top with a little soap and much water. I let it dry out in the sun for a day then painted it the next day. I used a 4" roller and a foam brush. One coat later and I am happy with the sutble change to the top color.

And with my JF sticker!

Up close.

Did you have to thin the paint for the hardtop, or just roll it on right out of the can?
gps4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2014, 08:40 PM   #111
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gps4 View Post
Did you have to thin the paint for the hardtop, or just roll it on right out of the can?
I used it the way it came out of the can. The finish on the top was not shiny or too smooth. All I did was clean it, rinse it and paint it using a small sponge brush for the edges and a 4" finish foam roller that they use for cabinets finishing. Came out well and looks just as nice a now.

Unread 06-24-2014, 05:55 PM   #112
ronkent
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I gotta say im impressed. I have a 95 wrangler and wanted some ideas, saw this thread and was like 'what the hell?' I definitely did not expect to see what I saw in those pictures. well done!
ronkent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2014, 07:23 PM   #113
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronkent View Post
I gotta say im impressed. I have a 95 wrangler and wanted some ideas, saw this thread and was like 'what the hell?' I definitely did not expect to see what I saw in those pictures. well done!
I am just one more person in along line of people who decided to paint their vehicle in this manner. There is no way one can get as good a paint job for such little money/time/expertise (I had NONE!).

I have received a bunch of comments on it and when I tell them how I painted it they can't believe it.

I will need to address some rust just starting to come through where the flair extensions and step were. I also have the typical small area of rust starting to show under the taillights at the bottom of the body area. I didn't touch under/behind any body panels initially. I figured that I'll get back to it soon.......which I have not done yet...

The hard top was in good shape but a bit faded. One coat of Rustoleum and it looks new.

There are other brands of paint that are as good if not better, that may offer more color choices. Needless to say preparation is the key. The painting part is the easiest part.

Some people have taken this method to the nth degree and boy does it show! More thin coats = a better finish. I did 'cheat' a bit during the thinning process and my YJ looks just fine to me.

Go for it!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.