My rolled on paint job - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > My rolled on paint job

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-24-2013, 12:11 PM   #91
JK-Sport-Gal
2012 JK Wrangler 

Hubby hasn't got a chance! I'm practicing on a metal table first to show him the technique and finish. It's so darn hot in a garage in Texas during the summer. Ugh!

JK-Sport-Gal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 08:37 AM   #92
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK-Sport-Gal View Post
Am I crazy for wanting to do this to my 2012? I'm getting sick of the Dozer color, so I would only be doing this for a color change- there's no damage to the current paint or anything like that. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Don't do it. Get some colored sunglasses
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2013, 06:37 PM   #93
LV2DRFT
1997 TJ Wrangler 

That looks great... I bet nobody even knows it's rolled!

I did mine with rusto, engine enamel, and rusto bedliner spray...

Before:

After:

LV2DRFT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2013, 07:13 PM   #94
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LV2DRFT View Post
That looks great... I bet nobody even knows it's rolled!

I did mine with rusto, engine enamel, and rusto bedliner spray...

Before:

After:

Looks good!
When I tell anyone how I painted my YJ they call me a liar....I take that as a compliment!

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2013, 07:28 PM   #95
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I recently put new floors in my old XJ. I needed some Rust-Oleum so I ran over to Menards and what did I see? RUST-OLEUM TINTED IN OVER 100 COLORS. Under 9 bucks a can for tinted colors. No metallics but the one I guessed on was real close to the stock color only a solid color.

Ron

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2013, 07:45 PM   #96
LV2DRFT
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbruzan View Post
I recently put new floors in my old XJ. I needed some Rust-Oleum so I ran over to Menards and what did I see? RUST-OLEUM TINTED IN OVER 100 COLORS. Under 9 bucks a can for tinted colors. No metallics but the one I guessed on was real close to the stock color only a solid color.

Ron
You are one of the lucky ones. I've searched far and wide and could only find rusto in the basic 10 or so colors. Rusto Topside (marine) is even more limited from my experience. A link to where one could buy these would be very helpful for the members...
LV2DRFT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2013, 07:48 PM   #97
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Menards. Not Ace or Home Depot yet.

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2013, 09:30 PM   #98
kjg26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

has anyone used a hardener with the rustoleum rust stop paint? If so, what mix did yall use? Also how long did you wait between coats without the hardener? With?
Unread 08-12-2013, 09:43 PM   #99
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg26 View Post
has anyone used a hardener with the rustoleum rust stop paint? If so, what mix did yall use? Also how long did you wait between coats without the hardener? With?
A synthetic enamel hardener used with rustoleum enamel would be added either 8 oz per gal (1:16) or 16 oz per gal (1:8)

You're really not going to see dramatic difference in recoat time. What you will see is that overnight with hardener is going to be cured much harder to fingernail denting than without hardener. With this type of enamel being slow dry you still want to wait minimum 24 hours before recoat and more if you intend to do any scuffing between coats
Unread 08-12-2013, 10:06 PM   #100
kjg26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

How would one decide on 1:16 or 1:8 mixture? Ans if I want to do two coats, wet sand, two coats, wet sand etc. I should wait a min of 24 hours. Is this correct? And the hardener won't have an effect on recoat time, just am effect on durability?
Unread 08-12-2013, 10:19 PM   #101
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
How would one decide on 1:16 or 1:8 mixture? Ans if I want to do two coats, wet sand, two coats, wet sand etc. I should wait a min of 24 hours. Is this correct? And the hardener won't have an effect on recoat time, just am effect on durability?
I was giving you a generality of how synthetic hardeners are used. Check specific products chosen for directions on usage levels

With this type of project you just need to wing it with recoat, sanding etc. You need to check previous coats when they are ready to scuff and or recoat. You're not working in a controlled booth environment like a body shop so conditions and dry times will vary based on temp, humidity, etc

The thinner you roll a coat the sooner it will be ready for the next step. The heavier you apply the longer it will take. You have less control of thickness when you roll vs reduced for spray so there is no cut and dry answer to this. Make sense?
Unread 08-12-2013, 10:21 PM   #102
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

There will be slight variance in dry with or without hardener for recoat but the greatest benefit of the hardener will be added durability

This is way diff that spraying acrylic enamel or urethane paints
Unread 08-12-2013, 11:51 PM   #103
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I did mine every 6-12 hours with no problems.
ashland82391 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 07:06 AM   #104
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Drying time is quick since the coats are made with thinned paint. But how hard the paint gets probably gets accelerated some, but I am no expert concerning this type of chemistry.

Is the chemistry compatible would be a good question.

Can a paint formulation fail because of hardener being added that the chemist didn't think would be added to this type of paint?

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 07:58 AM   #105
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Compatibility of hardener with the paint is the main concern when using a paint that was not sold with specified use of a hardener. A small sample mix with some teaspoons will tell you fast if you're going to see any issues

Hardeners made for acrylic enamels are slightly diff than hardeners made for synthetic enamels. A rustoleum enamel is basically a slow dry synthetic. The synthetics have a decent amount of mineral spirits in them and some hardeners will kick out or gel up if mixed with mineral spirits.

I'm pretty sure that Tractor Supply sells a hardener that would be compatible with rustoleum. Not sure if rustoleum has one or if it's sold in retail outlets

Tags
budget paint , roll on , roll on paint job , rustoleum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.