My rolled on paint job - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > My rolled on paint job

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 05-17-2013, 10:43 AM   #76
Red91YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by babasnoopy View Post
$46 per quart is pretty pricy
I suppose it is, compared to $15 per quart, but compared to a couple thousand dollars for a professional paint job it's not bad. I paid $35 online.

My local marine store carries it, but I didn't go down there to see if they had paint chips. I knew I wanted red, and it was cheaper to order online.

Red91YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2013, 10:50 AM   #77
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red91YJ View Post
I am also planning to do this on my 91 YJ; however progress is very slow because I have two little girls at home, but if I ever get moving I will post up some pictures. I am using Interlux Brightside which is a top side marine paint. The reason I am using this instead of rustoleum is that it is UV stable. Many of the Rusto jobs I have found fade somewhat after a few years. The Brightside does not. The paint is a little bit more expensive, but I think it's probably worth it. I plan to do 8-10 thin coats, sanding down the orange peel every other coat. Although, I have to say ZJ1998's Jeep turned out really nice with the textured look. I want to challenge myself to get the most "normal" looking paint job that I can.
I was...shall we say a bit 'layback' in my approach to doing a ROPJ. It came out as I expected. Great but not a professional finish given how little I did other than throw on three costs of a thicker mix of paint/thinner.

If you cut the paint 50/50 orange peel is virtually a non-issue. You will need to apply more coats. Since you are thinking 8-10 coats you might be able to sand every third coat. Bottom line is it you are not sanding a house just a Jeep.

Good Luck with your ROPJ!

If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, I should be able to bench press a Grand Cherokee by now!
laybackman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2013, 01:46 PM   #78
CBinDC
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman

I was...shall we say a bit 'layback' in my approach to doing a ROPJ. It came out as I expected. Great but not a professional finish given how little I did other than throw on three costs of a thicker mix of paint/thinner.

If you cut the paint 50/50 orange peel is virtually a non-issue. You will need to apply more coats. Since you are thinking 8-10 coats you might be able to sand every third coat. Bottom line is it you are not sanding a house just a Jeep.

Good Luck with your ROPJ!
What is "orange peel"?
CBinDC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2013, 04:57 PM   #79
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBinDC View Post
What is "orange peel"?
When a freshly painted car finish has the look of an orange peel....shiny but dimpled. If the paint was sprayed on too thick that might cause it.
Or when the surface tension of the paint gets dimpled by the drying process of the paint.

The fix is a whole bunch of wet sanding........

If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, I should be able to bench press a Grand Cherokee by now!
Unread 05-19-2013, 03:05 PM   #80
CBinDC
1989 YJ Wrangler 

So how often should you wet sand to reduce this effect?
Unread 05-19-2013, 03:36 PM   #81
ZJ1998

orange peel is like what I have on the picture above of the close up....dark blue jeep. The very imformative thread that was referenced above with a link (the orange baracuda I believe) told to wet sand after every two coats (total of 8 coats should be applied) but I ended up liking the effect of it so I didn't wet sand at all.
93 YJ I6, 5spd, Dana300, twin stick, 35's, D44 front and rear, 4:88 gear
98 ZJ I6, 2"BB, 31's, stock
ZJ1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2013, 05:08 PM   #82
CBinDC
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah it's nice. Kinda reminds me of a bedliner texture.
Unread 05-19-2013, 08:35 PM   #83
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So how often should you wet sand to reduce this effect?
Well that is hard to say. It depends on how much, if any, orange peel you get!

If you cut your paint 50/50 with mineral spirits orange peel isn't a big concern since that much thinner slows the drying process down. The paint goes on thin also avoiding orange peel and the drying process is slowed down allowing the paint to level out plenty.

During the rolling on of the paint you will get bubbles but they are gone in a minute because of the amount of thinner being used doing a ROPJ.

Unread 05-20-2013, 07:22 AM   #84
CBinDC
1989 YJ Wrangler 

How long do you have to wait between coats if you use a 50/50 ratio?
Unread 05-20-2013, 07:39 AM   #85
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
How long do you have to wait between coats if you use a 50/50 ratio?
You could easily do 2 coats a day if you start early enough. It does dry within several hours. I did one per day...... 'cause I could!

Unread 05-20-2013, 08:13 AM   #86
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman View Post

You could easily do 2 coats a day if you start early enough. It does dry within several hours. I did one per day...... 'cause I could!
X2 i gave mine at least 12 hours between coats
ashland82391 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2013, 07:26 PM   #87
JK-Sport-Gal
2012 JK Wrangler 

Am I crazy for wanting to do this to my 2012? I'm getting sick of the Dozer color, so I would only be doing this for a color change- there's no damage to the current paint or anything like that. Any thoughts? Thanks!
JK-Sport-Gal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2013, 07:40 PM   #88
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK-Sport-Gal View Post
Am I crazy for wanting to do this to my 2012? I'm getting sick of the Dozer color, so I would only be doing this for a color change- there's no damage to the current paint or anything like that. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Personally, I would hesitate to do this to such a new Jeep that has a good finish.

BUT, don't let that stop you!!!!!

I didn't want to do my '95 YJ but I wanted to make several mods on it which ultimately made the decision for me easier. My YJ ended up being three..... or was it five colors...I forget.

Unread 06-22-2013, 07:47 PM   #89
JK-Sport-Gal
2012 JK Wrangler 

As much as I want to pull the trigger on this, it's such a permanent change to consider. My husband is vehemently against it, but it's MY Jeep! It's probably best to let it get beat up on the trails for a bit longer

Thanks again for the input, I'm sure I'll be back to follow your great write-up someday!
JK-Sport-Gal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2013, 08:06 PM   #90
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK-Sport-Gal View Post
As much as I want to pull the trigger on this, it's such a permanent change to consider. My husband is vehemently against it, but it's MY Jeep! It's probably best to let it get beat up on the trails for a bit longer

Thanks again for the input, I'm sure I'll be back to follow your great write-up someday!
So using your husband's logic......the sooner it 'gets beat up' the sooner you can do a ROPJ. Why do I think 'your off road driving skills' will be faltering a bit until your rig has enough paint damage.....just saying

Your poor hubby hasn't got a chance against you does he?

Tags
budget paint , roll on , roll on paint job , rustoleum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.