My rolled on paint job - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > My rolled on paint job

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 04-07-2013, 05:14 PM   #61
ky_black_ss

Nice job man

ky_black_ss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2013, 08:58 AM   #62
1ABrian
1997 ZJ 

very cool.
SHOP HERE: Jeep Parts
1ABrian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2013, 03:26 PM   #63
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome, pretty ironic, i just posted a thread about this. Had no idea you did it already. Oh by the way i replaced the 2.5l a few months ago, got tired of the knock lol
ashland82391 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2013, 03:41 PM   #64
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
Awesome, pretty ironic, i just posted a thread about this. Had no idea you did it already. Oh by the way i replaced the 2.5l a few months ago, got tired of the knock lol
Can you post a link to the thread of you RO paint job? I really like to see how others did their ROPJ.

By the way....2.5's were born to rock....er I mean knock.....

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2013, 04:45 PM   #65
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman View Post

Can you post a link to the thread of you RO paint job? I really like to see how others did their ROPJ.

By the way....2.5's were born to rock....er I mean knock.....
Haha right.

It's just information i found from another forum. I thought it was amazing how well this guys stuff turned out so i shared it.

comment any tips! :-) i already bought some of the paint and am going to do my Jeep in the next few weeks.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f260/...-50-a-1508962/
Unread 04-15-2013, 06:06 PM   #66
CBinDC
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391

Haha right.

It's just information i found from another forum. I thought it was amazing how well this guys stuff turned out so i shared it.

comment any tips! :-) i already bought some of the paint and am going to do my Jeep in the next few weeks.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f260/...-50-a-1508962/
I saw this same thread from the site you are referring to. There is some great tips in that thread. There is some guy that chimes in pretty far down the thread that has some great insight. I wish I remembered what site it is. It's well worth the read.

Not to knock the OP of this thread but the other thread from the other site goes into further detail [and criticisms] that this thread doesn't touch on and can be quite helpful.

I plan to do a RO paint job this summer. My jeep is really starting to look bad with all the age, scratches, and dents.
CBinDC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2013, 06:52 PM   #67
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBinDC View Post
I saw this same thread from the site you are referring to. There is some great tips in that thread. There is some guy that chimes in pretty far down the thread that has some great insight. I wish I remembered what site it is. It's well worth the read.

Not to knock the OP of this thread but the other thread from the other site goes into further detail [and criticisms] that this thread doesn't touch on and can be quite helpful.

I plan to do a RO paint job this summer. My jeep is really starting to look bad with all the age, scratches, and dents.
No offense taken! I did not go into great detail because it wasn't a very technical undertaking. My YJ needed to be repainted. I didn't want to spend a ton of money on it, BUT I wanted a decent looking YJ when I was done. I could not spray it because of my physical limitations.

My goal was a decent paint job. I figure the equipment I used would be important. I did touch upon how I went about it. The level of prep work one wants to impart on his/he paint job will depend on the original condition of their Jeep and what they expect it should look like when finished.

I still need to fix the lower tub section where the original flares/step was. I still haven't wet sanded the finished paint figuring that will get done after fixing the lower tub....IF and when I get around to it! Us retired guys are busy folks!!!

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
Unread 05-16-2013, 12:09 PM   #68
ZJ1998

Just wanted to also share my experience with this roll on method. I was looking for something, easy, cheap, fun to do by myself, and not worried about the paint. I can scratch it, dent it, slide into a tree, and not be all uptight about it. I can re roll it if I want to in a few years should I need to. I used a Sherwin William acrylic enamel paint. I did about 10 coats. About 6 coats in I found it was coming out way to purple so I changed the color and added more green to the formula. I probably could have done about 6-7 coats total but I didn't want to cut it short. I did not end up wet sanding between coats as I thought I was going to. It came out with a textured look that I really liked so that is why I did not wet sand. I protected it with a cheap turtle carnuba wax and it looks great...seems to hold up well too.

Below are a few pictures. Here is a link to all the pictures I took of the project from purchase to roll on paint job, bed liner and winch install.

http://s1160.photobucket.com/user/jp...35674599954197

When I purchased:

Tested the color on the door and started prepping:

Got it out into natural light and it is confirmed, I don't like how much purple:

Did a few more coats and here is a close up:

Monst-lined the bed, mounted winch and some d-ring on front/rear bumper:
93 YJ I6, 5spd, Dana300, twin stick, 35's, D44 front and rear, 4:88 gear
98 ZJ I6, 2"BB, 31's, stock
ZJ1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 01:26 PM   #69
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJ1998 View Post
Just wanted to also share my experience with this roll on method. I was looking for something, easy, cheap, fun to do by myself, and not worried about the paint. I can scratch it, dent it, slide into a tree, and not be all uptight about it. I can re roll it if I want to in a few years should I need to. I used a Sherwin William acrylic enamel paint. I did about 10 coats. About 6 coats in I found it was coming out way to purple so I changed the color and added more green to the formula. I probably could have done about 6-7 coats total but I didn't want to cut it short. I did not end up wet sanding between coats as I thought I was going to. It came out with a textured look that I really liked so that is why I did not wet sand. I protected it with a cheap turtle carnuba wax and it looks great...seems to hold up well too.

Below are a few pictures. Here is a link to all the pictures I took of the project from purchase to roll on paint job, bed liner and winch install.

http://s1160.photobucket.com/user/jp...35674599954197

When I purchased:

Tested the color on the door and started prepping:

Got it out into natural light and it is confirmed, I don't like how much purple:

Did a few more coats and here is a close up:

Monst-lined the bed, mounted winch and some d-ring on front/rear bumper:
Looks great man! I just did this as well and i am very pleased with the out come, couldn't be happier!

Done

Thanks again for the info laybackman!
Unread 05-16-2013, 01:28 PM   #70
CBinDC
1989 YJ Wrangler 

What paint did you use?
Unread 05-16-2013, 01:36 PM   #71
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBinDC View Post
What paint did you use?
Rustoleum protective enamel. Color says gloss royal blue but it came out much lighter, which is a very good thing :-)
Unread 05-16-2013, 01:41 PM   #72
CBinDC
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ah so that's what Rustoleum's Royal Blue looks like. I was thinking about going in this direction. Thanks man! Looks good!
Unread 05-16-2013, 04:27 PM   #73
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Both of your YJ's look great!

For the YJ owner that wants his rig to be one color again you cannot beat this rolled on paint job technique unless you are set up to spray BUT a ROPJ is way easier....Heck I did it, so it has got to be easy....

And you can get as fine a finish as you want by wet sanding in between coats using the 50/50 mix and making sure you area is dust free.

Unread 05-17-2013, 09:07 AM   #74
Red91YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I am also planning to do this on my 91 YJ; however progress is very slow because I have two little girls at home, but if I ever get moving I will post up some pictures. I am using Interlux Brightside which is a top side marine paint. The reason I am using this instead of rustoleum is that it is UV stable. Many of the Rusto jobs I have found fade somewhat after a few years. The Brightside does not. The paint is a little bit more expensive, but I think it's probably worth it. I plan to do 8-10 thin coats, sanding down the orange peel every other coat. Although, I have to say ZJ1998's Jeep turned out really nice with the textured look. I want to challenge myself to get the most "normal" looking paint job that I can.
Red91YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2013, 10:23 AM   #75
babasnoopy
1990 YJ Wrangler 

$46 per quart is pretty pricy, but if it goes on just as easy and holds up, I suppose that's still pretty darn cheap. Have you found anywhere that sells it where you could go see paint chips? They have a lot of awesome color names.
babasnoopy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
budget paint , roll on , roll on paint job , rustoleum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.