My rolled on paint job - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > My rolled on paint job

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 03-07-2013, 02:36 PM   #46
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyjeep View Post
Nice job!
Did my '73 K10 a few years back with this method... in black!

This...

To this...

The after pic was after I decided to go back to satin, due to desert pinstriping etc...
But to prove how good we got it before we realized we were being just plain dumb..

Your truck came out nice, and dark paint is harder to mask any oppsies!

Couple of questions for you. Are you as ignorant about painting a vehicle as I am? The pictures tell me it came out good. Do you like the results?

I ask because I think the whole process was actually very easy to do even with any limitations one might have.

I am no shape, way or form any type of 'paint meister', not even a rattle can wizard... Yet, I am very pleased that it was as easy as it is to do and came out as well as it did.

No one should be afraid to try this paint method for their vehicle.

If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, I should be able to bench press a Grand Cherokee by now!
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2013, 04:48 PM   #47
05Whiterubi

Looks great! Impeccable job
05Whiterubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2013, 05:06 PM   #48
HOGHEAD69
1959 CJ3B 

Your YJ looks good ,, But you should have changed out the front clip to a CJ front clip,,, Then it would look real nice,,, I have used Rust-o-leium paint on a few of my Jeeps,,, My 87 CJ-7 came to me with truck bed dull black & very ruff,, used rust-0 on it ,, Had to use a 4 inch house brush,, came out real nice ,,, My 59 3B will have rust-o on it,, Butt it will be sprayed ,,, & Rust-o make's a Clear Coat also ,,,

Like I said your YJ is looking good...
Willys Overland,,
HOGHEAD69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2013, 05:07 AM   #49
dhudge

Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman View Post

For small money you can set up that type of cover using thin plastic drop cloths you can buy at Home Depot or Lowes or anyother hardware store.

Before you hit this YJ with sandpaper make sure you wash and dry it first then clean the entire car with an absorbant coths and oderless mineral spirits. That insures you have done your best to removed all the wax, dirt, oils from the painted surfaces.
Been meanin to ask you about this...
Wouldn't you want to give it a good wash after you've sanded?...to get rid of all dust particles immediately prior to layin on the paint?
dhudge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2013, 06:23 AM   #50
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhudge View Post
Been meanin to ask you about this...
Wouldn't you want to give it a good wash after you've sanded?...to get rid of all dust particles immediately prior to layin on the paint?
All I did was wipe it down with a damp cloth soaked in thinner after a very light hit with wet 400 grit.

The goal is not to completely break the surface of the paint, but to simply knock off any insect heads!

If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, I should be able to bench press a Grand Cherokee by now!
Unread 03-08-2013, 02:52 PM   #51
dhudge

Quote:

All I did was wipe it down with a damp cloth soaked in thinner after a very light hit with wet 400 grit.

The goal is not to completely break the surface of the paint, but to simply knock off any insect heads!
Good to know...thanks!
dhudge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2013, 11:28 PM   #52
Jeepnaut
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Any good quality paint made for outdoor use that has UV resistance built into it IMHO would be a good candidate for your CJ. Get something that has good coverage and leveling qualities.

They even have water based industrial paints now but they are pricey!

Valspar was mentioned erlier in this thread IIRC and that is just one brand with many more color choices that Rustoleum.

I went with Rustoleum becasue it was on the shelf in the color I wanted. It being topside paint was a plus but I think the 'regular' Rustoleum paint would have been fine to use also.

Laybackman, I think I missed something. You used Rustoleum which does not have UV protection, right?

If so, I wanted to ask you how the paint on your body and hardtop are doing today? I've seen some truly awful paint jobs (parched, chalky) on some newer vehicles in my town, and I suspect that they are DIY jobs.

I have almost everything necessary to paint my YJ body and hardtop with Rustoleum enamel, but I need to be clear on some things.
Jeepnaut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2013, 07:14 AM   #53
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepnaut View Post
Laybackman, I think I missed something. You used Rustoleum which does not have UV protection, right?

If so, I wanted to ask you how the paint on your body and hardtop are doing today? I've seen some truly awful paint jobs (parched, chalky) on some newer vehicles in my town, and I suspect that they are DIY jobs.

I have almost everything necessary to paint my YJ body and hardtop with Rustoleum enamel, but I need to be clear on some things.
I am fairly sure that Rustoleum has UV protectant in their exterior paint. That is their claim to fame isn't it? To hold up to the weather over time.

I went with the topsider paint because it should be even better paint since it is used on marine surfaces above the water line AND it came in the color I wanted.

My paint looks like the day I did the final coat if you can ignore some of the Winter grime it has collected since. The hard top looks just as nice but it has a satin finish.

I have a pair of the old timey garden metal chairs out in my back yard. They were red with white pipe type framing. I hit them real quick with paint thinner then a quick sanding. Next two coats of green for the body and white for the tubular frame. They have been out in my yard for five years exposed to the sun and they look like they were done last week. And they just sit out there uncovered year round.

Unread 03-11-2013, 01:18 PM   #54
Jeepnaut
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the reply laybackman.
Jeepnaut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2013, 10:07 PM   #55
chaznad
2007 JK Wrangler 

standard rustoleum does not have UV protection, he used Rustoleum topside paint which does, its made for above water marine use
Unread 03-15-2013, 06:32 PM   #56
rev2jeep
2000 YJ Wrangler 

looks really really good great job
rev2jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2013, 12:58 PM   #57
mudpuppy99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I am going to do that to my yj nice work
mudpuppy99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2013, 01:10 PM   #58
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpuppy99 View Post
I am going to do that to my yj nice work
If you are looking for an inexpensive, good looking paint job, and you have a little bit of patience you will be real happy with the results.

I did not get too nutty with fit/finish but I did have a nice YJ to start with.

I did not thin the paint 50/50 (more like 60/40) because I did not want to do more than three or possibly four coats....getting old and well I'm getting old......

I need to do some repair to the body where the factory step was bolted on. That will be a piece of cake to do for me because of this paint technique.

Roll away!

Unread 03-27-2013, 12:12 AM   #59
aireagle20
2011 JK Wrangler 

Very Nice Job
aireagle20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2013, 12:12 PM   #60
JeepWillis
1983 CJ7 

great thread!
JeepWillis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
budget paint , roll on , roll on paint job , rustoleum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.