My rolled on paint job - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > My rolled on paint job

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 02-24-2013, 10:36 PM   #31
Neuner-9R
1985 CJ7 

Looks really good.

Just wanted to through in a small savings here for others - I found a 3-pack of 4" foam rollers including handle and paint tray at Harbor Freight for $1.97. Worked great when I did mine.

Neuner-9R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 07:58 AM   #32
jeep50

Nice work!
jeep50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2013, 07:54 AM   #33
fiddy5cj5
1955 CJ5 

Man I really wanna try this on my 55 but I'm facing douts cuz I'm in the army and I don't have a garage just a car port
fiddy5cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2013, 08:55 AM   #34
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddy5cj5 View Post
Man I really wanna try this on my 55 but I'm facing douts cuz I'm in the army and I don't have a garage just a car port
Wash your CJ and if it is asphalt do the driveway also under the carport real good then rinse well. Next, buy cheap plastic drop cloths from Home Depot or Lowes and set up a 'paint booth'. Make it large enough so the wind cannot blow your 'paint booth' into your freshly painted CJ!

Keep in mind most of the body is vertical not horizontal. The only issue is bumping into it with a leg if you are not careful.

I started at one point and never back stepped my progress around my YJ.
By the time you get to the last part of your CJ the first part will be quite tacky...almost dry if touched lightly. If you can protect the paint for 30 minutes you are usually good to go. If anything drops into the paint like a bug, just wait until the next day. Dig him out, sand lightly with some 400 grit and touch up that spot. Always feather out any 'patch' paint you do.

I'm telling you do not rush, prep well, and if you want decent looking paint for short money it is the way to go trust me. And this is coming from a guy who has only done one rolled on paint job.

Just google up rolled on paint jobs and see what some of the more experienced guys have turned out. It is what gave me the confidence to paint my YJ.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2013, 09:16 AM   #35
fiddy5cj5
1955 CJ5 

Thanks alot I think ill go see if I can get those plastic prices and start it hopefully sat or Sunday when ever the winds calm down and I'm in El Paso so I think it's plenty warm
Unread 03-02-2013, 07:43 PM   #36
fiddy5cj5
1955 CJ5 

Ok well I started. What I ended up doing was partially disassembling the cj the hood fenders tailgate and windshield are all off and got started on the hood and tail gate sanding them down I think I'm gonna lay plastic down on the floor of my house and roll it on Inside piece by piece. Got a question though what other paint would any body Recommend the paint u used the rustoleum marine coatings is not available in my area I'm station at ft bliss El Paso in the middle of a desert I guess no one had a reason to stock that paint lol
Unread 03-02-2013, 07:45 PM   #37
fiddy5cj5
1955 CJ5 

O and there's most def gonna be some bondo work goin on lol but it's a 55 what could I expect
Unread 03-03-2013, 06:11 AM   #38
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Any good quality paint made for outdoor use that has UV resistance built into it IMHO would be a good candidate for your CJ. Get something that has good coverage and leveling qualities.

They even have water based industrial paints now but they are pricey!

Valspar was mentioned erlier in this thread IIRC and that is just one brand with many more color choices that Rustoleum.

I went with Rustoleum becasue it was on the shelf in the color I wanted. It being topside paint was a plus but I think the 'regular' Rustoleum paint would have been fine to use also.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
Unread 03-03-2013, 04:32 PM   #39
fiddy5cj5
1955 CJ5 

Ok I went with valspar they had a color I really liled in their rust armor line check out me thread if you want got some pics and will update with progress as I go it in the paint body section
Unread 03-06-2013, 07:27 AM   #40
chaznad
2007 JK Wrangler 

Looks amazing .. why didnt you throw on some clear coat after seeing it came out so nice, will the paint hold up like that?
Unread 03-06-2013, 08:12 AM   #41
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaznad View Post
Looks amazing .. why didnt you throw on some clear coat after seeing it came out so nice, will the paint hold up like that?

Any good exterior metal paint should have the same traits as the Rustoleum. I choose this particular brand/color of Rustoleum because it was the color I wanted, it is great paint and it was on the shelf in front of my nose at my local Home Depot.

I am happy with the finish as it is and I know that there will be repairs made to this old YJ in the near future...rust never sleeps!

The clear coat would make repairs a bit more work. I don't mind work but I avoid any unecessary work like it is poison ivy!

Unread 03-07-2013, 07:42 AM   #42
ziloh22

1995 YJ Wrangler 

awesome man, now what paint did you personally use for this?
ziloh22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2013, 11:13 AM   #43
Beemer
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Check out this thread from mopar from a few years ago. The poster, "69chargeryeehaa" is the one to read. He uses the foam rollers and Canadian version of Rustoleum.

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/...0&fpart=1&vc=1
Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2013, 11:55 AM   #44
Keyjeep
1998 ZJ 

Nice job!
Did my '73 K10 a few years back with this method... in black!

This...

To this...

The after pic was after I decided to go back to satin, due to desert pinstriping etc...
But to prove how good we got it before we realized we were being just plain dumb..

Keyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2013, 12:08 PM   #45
sbilbrey

So I am thinking about doing this on my XJ. Couple questions - It has some spots where the factory paint actually peeled and now has surface rust, I am thinking sand that down, spray can prime, then sand and finish. Any corrections, comments?

Also, I am thinking of going with a matte finish to minimize any inperfections showing. What do you think?
sbilbrey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
budget paint , roll on , roll on paint job , rustoleum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.