My rolled on paint job - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > My rolled on paint job

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 10-30-2012, 01:06 PM   #16
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I think any paint whether oil or water based that can be used for outdoor equipment like metal patio furniture etc would be just fine. Rustoleum is great paint but has a limited color choice.

If your girl is throwing gang signs with her toes you're hitting the spot.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2012, 02:52 PM   #17
dcmininni
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Man I love that color. I really enjoyed this thread. Makes me wish the paint job on my Jeep was ready to be redone, which makes no real sense at all.
dcmininni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2012, 04:55 PM   #18
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmininni View Post
Man I love that color. I really enjoyed this thread. Makes me wish the paint job on my Jeep was ready to be redone, which makes no real sense at all.
Well in my case the re-paint job during the rebuild before I bought it was shall we say less than perfect....

I was going to spray it but I have bad lungs and unless you are set up to spray you could get less than decent results. So the rolled on paint job became the method of choice.

Since your paint is good there HAS to be something else to spend money on for your Jeep!

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
Unread 11-06-2012, 10:58 AM   #19
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Necessary option for me

Since I have the mythical jeep as an avatar I felt this needed to be added to the jeep repaint......

Unread 11-08-2012, 05:10 PM   #20
Decimals

Amazing I'm going to attempt on my xj ... Desperatly needs paint wish me luck
Decimals is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2012, 06:06 AM   #21
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decimals View Post
Preparation is the key. The darker the paint the better the smoother and blemish free the finish must be. I removed anything I could as opposed to masking that off. But, that is not a bad option especially if you have no place to store anything.

I noticed that dust particles do stick to the surface. I had an over head rack I made out of 1" EMT bolted to the garage ceiling joists to hold my ladders etc.which I forgot to blow off a day or so before I started on this project.

Whenever I opened the garage door or tapped or moved that rack in any way, I probably disturbed that dust to some degree. I have some physical limitations so I decided to attempt this project using a ~30% cut or so of paint /mineral spirits. I am sure the 50/50 cut could give you an even smoother finish than what I ended up. If you are going dark and want the best you can acheive I would go with the 50/50 cut and do the two additional coats that many nothers have done.

Bottom line anyone can get a good paint job if they just take their time and trust the process.

GOOD LUCK

Unread 11-09-2012, 12:31 PM   #22
Decimals

Awesome I will let you know how it goes once I actually get started on it I'm thinking of maybe making my own little safe pain room out of painters tarp attached to the ceiling and then hung down to create a bubble around the.vehicle to.create a hopefully semi particulate free environment

Any thoughts laybackman
Unread 11-09-2012, 12:43 PM   #23
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Awesome I will let you know how it goes once I actually get started on it I'm thinking of maybe making my own little safe pain room out of painters tarp attached to the ceiling and then hung down to create a bubble around the.vehicle to.create a hopefully semi particulate free environment

Any thoughts laybackman
For small money you can set up that type of cover using thin plastic drop cloths you can buy at Home Depot or Lowes or anyother hardware store.

Before you hit this YJ with sandpaper make sure you wash and dry it first then clean the entire car with an absorbant coths and oderless mineral spirits. That insures you have done your best to removed all the wax, dirt, oils from the painted surfaces.

Unread 11-09-2012, 02:16 PM   #24
Decimals

Thank you very much for your input hopefully goona start on this soon
Unread 11-09-2012, 02:51 PM   #25
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thank you very much for your input hopefully goona start on this soon
Whne you are rolling this paint on you can go in different directions BUT end up going in one direction. Watch the bubbles you create. They get you worried BUT in a minute they are gone!
I even painted the slots on my grill with the round tipped high density foam rollers. I used the foam brushes in paces like where the hood cowl meet the windshield sheet metal and where the YJ front fenders meet the grill I just mentioned and some parts of the body where the door openings are. Trust me preparation is the key and once you get e feel for the process it goes easy and fairly quick also. I could do the body of my jeep minus doors, tailgate and windshield frame in about 45 minutes and I go slow....why rush!?

Unread 01-24-2013, 10:16 AM   #26
kc_Jeepxj

Quote:
Have you done this yet, I'm thinking of doing the same to my XJ but I'm concerned with the door jams and other places like that.
kc_Jeepxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2013, 10:19 AM   #27
kc_Jeepxj

Nice Work! I can't believe how great this turned out. What was the final cost and did you use the foam brushes on the door jams and other places like that?
kc_Jeepxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2013, 02:25 PM   #28
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc_Jeepxj View Post
Nice Work! I can't believe how great this turned out. What was the final cost and did you use the foam brushes on the door jams and other places like that?
I am real happy with the results personally. It is not a show boat by any stretch of the imagination. But it gets tons of positive comments wherever I go. I think what catches everyone's eye is the color. For an older Jeep it is not common to see a light colored one. I still have work on the rocker panels. That is going to hsppen when it gets warmer.....much warmer!

3 quarts of Rustoleum Topside Sand Beige paint $48.00
1 quart of Rustoleum paint $12.00
6 pack of 4” & 6” high density rollers $18.00
6 ea of 1” & 4” foam brushes $12.00
1 small pack of 320 grit wet/dry sandpaper $ 4.00
1 gallon odorless mineral spirits $14.00

That is ~$108.00 more if you need paint pans etc.

I went wth the Topside paint because I felt it had more UV protection in it Annnd it was the exct color I wanted! But the regular Rustoleum paint holds up well for years also!

Many other companies have good outdoor paint also.

I had to use the foam brushes on the front fenders where they meet the grill, and the windshield cowl where it meets the sheet metal holding the vent intake.

I did use the foam brushes on the first coat for the door jambs and grill slots. But, after that I used the HD foam rollers do do pretty much everything for a few exceptions mentioned.

If you can't get it with the roller hit it with the foam brush!

The windshield frame, tailgate and doors I used both.

Before I started up laying down another coat I had a wet roller and foam brush so I could go either way.

Unread 02-19-2013, 06:55 PM   #29
BigZink
2002 KJ Liberty 

Looks Great, Did you buy your paint online or where do you recommend buying it?
BigZink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 07:23 PM   #30
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZink View Post
Looks Great, Did you buy your paint online or where do you recommend buying it?
Thanks. I was happy with the results.

I bought everything I needed at Home Depot.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.