My opinion of POR-15 has taken a nosedive - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > My opinion of POR-15 has taken a nosedive

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 06-08-2010, 07:07 PM   #1
Jeremy93yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

My opinion of POR-15 has taken a nosedive

One of the first things I did when when I started my YJ project was to coat the frame with POR-15. I followed the manufacturer's directions to the letter, including prepping the surface with Marine Clean and Metal Ready, and applying 2 coats at the specified intervals. This was about a month and a half ago, and I thought it was working pretty well. Until tonight. Tonight I crawled under the Jeep to re-check all of the suspension bolts that I tampered with while installing my lift a few weeks ago. It seems that POR-15 doesn't resist brake fluid. At all. You see, the other day I replaced my clutch master cylinder and a bit of fluid spilled. Now, anywhere that the brake fluid touched, the POR is bubbling off the frame in cute little sheets the consistency of plastic food wrap. This does not please me.

I have learned a new dance. It is called the YJ Shuffle. You take one step forward, then 2 steps back. I will now go stand in my front yard and scream obscenities at the sky. lol

Jeremy93yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2010, 07:30 PM   #2
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

not much will withstand brake fluid
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2010, 07:50 PM   #3
gtome

Thats right! Brake fluid is nasty nasty stuff. But everyone thinks POR15 is a cure all, and it really isnt.
gtome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2010, 08:01 PM   #4
95yj_bstick
1995 YJ Wrangler 

that explains why my a black coating is peeling off my frame now. (shop replaced all brake lines because they said they had to for inspection) we've got some work ahead of us, i'm just going to go with rubberized undercoat
Unread 06-08-2010, 08:08 PM   #5
Unlimitedlou
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Just wait, most of it will peel off over time. I am no fan of POR-15. I did the whole frame on my last YJ and at least 50% of it peeled off. I think it adheres greatly to porous metal, but to good smooth metal is is not worth having. Did I mention the fading?
Unread 06-08-2010, 08:40 PM   #6
gtome

Agreed. I really dont like the stuff. There are many great products out there that do the job correctly. But I also suspect that 99% of people that use POR15 do it incorrectly so....

Im big fan of epoxy primer myself, and never been scared to use some rubberized undercoating. There is the original rubber undercoating on my 65 Pontiac wheel wells and has held up well after 45 years..... im sold.

P.S. Brake cleaner works great for cleaning off brake fluid. It also evaporates making recoating easier.
Unread 06-11-2010, 02:06 PM   #7
Jeremy93yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all replies. My mechanical experience is somewhat limited, so I didn't know brake fluid was that rude. For the record, the fluid also leaked down the firewall onto my Herculined interior, and so far the Herculiner seems OK. At least I got my money's worth from that stuff!
Unread 06-11-2010, 07:29 PM   #8
gtome

Thanks for sharing that! Good to know somthing can stand up to brake fluid.
Unread 06-12-2010, 08:15 AM   #9
Jeremy93yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Correction! The Herculiner has been damaged by the brake fluid. It's just not as bad and took longer to break down.
Unread 06-12-2010, 08:32 AM   #10
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Me too, agree POR-15 is over rated and peels off places paint would not. I use Dupli-Color Truck Bed Coating. Cheaper, easy on, and easy re-on if you bugger anything on a rock.
Unread 06-15-2010, 07:53 AM   #11
Roadyy

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I used the duplicolor bed liner paint inside my tub aswell. It may not be a perty as the line-x or herculiner, but I actually like the flat black look on the interior and like Don said it's a quick, cheap and easy repair.
I went thru as much work prepping it for the coating as most with the bigger name brand stuff,sandblasted the entire inside of tub and vacuumuing the sand out then wipe with damp cloth to remove any dust etc.etc., before laying the first coat. I also used 5 cans on it so it's got plenty of mils especially on both front floor pans.
Roadyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2010, 05:07 AM   #12
cidd
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Brake fluid is really alien blood eats thru anything and will travel up hill under the stuff its eating the only way to kill it is to clean the area with gasoline and pray you get all of it. You should see what it can do to a paint job get it on your hands and then touch your car and leave it sit for a day or two yep no more paint .
cidd is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.