my 30 dollar paint job - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > my 30 dollar paint job

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 12-19-2009, 10:52 AM   #31
Magical_Merlin
1976 CJ5 

Here are some pics of my $30 paint job. More like $200 after paint, sand paper, respirators, DA sander, tape, plastic, etc....

I think I ended up using 10 cans of Rustoleum Orange, 4 cans of gloss black and about 4 cans of primer. I put on 2 coats of primer sanded in between with 400 grit. Than I layed down two coats of color and wet sanded. Then 3rd coat/wetsand, than a 4th coat/wet sand. Than a 5th top coat. I think it looks great!

Magical_Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2009, 09:54 AM   #32
jsahara24
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Looks good to me!
Unread 01-10-2010, 02:26 PM   #33
tcjohnsonYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Not to bad, looks good
tcjohnsonYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2010, 05:58 PM   #34
NOC Bulldog
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Both jeeps look good!
Unread 09-15-2010, 08:15 PM   #35
93GCLimitedV6
1993 ZJ 

i got a 9 dollar paint job, and rolled it on.
93GCLimitedV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2010, 05:30 PM   #36
matthewlee
2014 JK Wrangler 

I just laughed SO hard reading all of this...
and it really does look good! nice job!
matthewlee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2010, 07:56 AM   #37
basssolow5
1999 TJ Wrangler 

well, you walk out of walmart, and you can see your jeep no matter where it is!
colorado jeep club member #730

stimulating the economy one part at a time!
basssolow5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2010, 08:11 AM   #38
ISUzj
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93GCLimitedV6 View Post
i got a 9 dollar paint job, and rolled it on.
Do you have any pics.. I have yet to see someone who rolled on paint on a zj... i have been thinking about it for some time
~~[_---_____---_\-\\\\\\-\
~~~(o) )-o---(o) )-o---) )
94ZJ 5.2 Red; Rusty's 3" Coils,Skyjacker hydro's, Brush Guard, Custom Rear Bumper, Custom Roof Rack, KVG Quick Discos, 31-10.50-15's DAYTON TIMBERLINE A/T OBA 2 Gallon tank
Can't buy it? BUILD IT!! Do it cheap too cuz your in college

My Build Thread Align your jeep yourself B N B#175
ISUzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2010, 07:30 PM   #39
ado2987
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by speepdaedeesi View Post
i have orange boogers today. that cant be good.

yeah when i saw that pic of your makeshift paint shop i wondered how much paint you were huffing, if not wearing a mask of some sort.
i get paint boogers to, i gotta be better about that.
it'll clear up in a couple days.
ado2987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2010, 06:49 PM   #40
TexasTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Curious how you all painted your windshield frame? Did you remove the seal/glass? Seems if you just tape off, you would have original color showing thru. I have been thinking of rattle canning my TJ - seen some bad jobs, but I have also seen some pretty good jobs with satin finish, which I think would be a lot more forgiving than gloss finishes. Also wondering about best technique for applying paint on larger piece like side of tub? Usually when painting with spray cans, you spray past the end of the piece before returning on the next strip to avoid runs. Did you start at the front or back of the tub and work to the other end before returning on the next lower pass, or did you do smaller sections? My main concern is getting stripes in the paint.
TexasTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2010, 10:52 PM   #41
Goobersbro

I havn't rattled my jeep but I have done a lot and there really arn't all of that larg panels except the hood for the sides you just go verticle or at an angle then at the most your only doing a 14" or so pass you go from the rear of the tub to the wheel well and then the top of the tub down to the wheel well and just work your way around....as for the hood when you can just do smaller sections just do a continues spray and lift it away if that makes since and then come back at it starting away and getting closer than going across...Hope some of what I wrote makes sense
Unread 12-16-2010, 04:54 AM   #42
TexasTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Makes sense to me - Thanks. I was thinking the side of the tub would require long passes, but the wheel and door cutouts allow you to break it up into smaller sections.
TexasTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2010, 11:19 AM   #43
cheepjerokee
1992 XJ Cherokee 

My jeep looked like it spend some time around and kindergarten class when i was doing the body work. (couldnt decide on colors)
i finally decided after spending over 100 in cans to try real paint. Bought a spray gun from harbor freight for around 15$ and the duplicolor paintshop deep blue. That is some pretty tough paint. I painted the jeep in a dirt corral (all i had to use) so theres a lil dirt here and there in the paint but for my first paint job i like it. Give it a try sometime, the stuff was 10000 times easier to use than the pros make it seem. Good luck. O i had blue boogers for a few days haha freaked me out the first time i saw one come out.
cheepjerokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2010, 04:42 AM   #44
Joe203

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Wow! Mine needs a paint job and you tempted me to do the same thing. I will have sanding and priming to do though.
Joe203 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2011, 11:29 PM   #45
tehgregzor
2004 WJ 

Wow man this is the best Bang for your Buck paint job i've seen on a Jeep. I think you'll see why prep work is important about a year down the road. But it sounds like you cycle through colors fairly often, so that might just be an excuse for a new color haha.

Great job, my only reccomendation is invest in a few cans of automotive grade primer, it gives the paint something good to bond to, so light scrapes don't cause huge flakes of paint.
tehgregzor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.