Mounting Corner Armor to minimize corrosion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Mounting Corner Armor to minimize corrosion

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-22-2009, 12:38 PM   #1
scs2016
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Mounting Corner Armor to minimize corrosion

Hi Folks,
I've recently started down the road of adding some rear corner armor (short Rokmen armor) and replacing the rear hinges on my TJ (2004). I'm replacing the hinges with Kentrol stainless (powdercoated black) because of corrosion issues with my originals.

In mounting my corner armor, I want to really think ahead, and protect my tub as much as possible from future corrosion issues. After drilling, I want to line the mounting holes/hole-eges with bedliner or primer paint to protect any exposed metal...

Would I be better off using a sealer (e.g., silicone) to seal the corners to the tub, or using dots of something to preserve a very small void space between the tub and the armor?

My thinking with trying to seal the armor to the tub is to protect from intrusion by salt spray (new england winters), mud, etc.

while the void space plan, would have the benefit of air circulation and perhaps even be a bit washable.

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.

scs2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2009, 12:54 AM   #2
Low98Dime
2000 WJ 

You could sand the area on the tub that the armor is going to be on and the backside of the armor its self down to bare metal and use something like zero-rust, it will seal everything up so water and oxygen can't penetrate the metal, no more worries about rust. I've used this stuff on my truck frame and the rockers of three cars that were in bad shape and after about 3 winters, no rust still. You can topcoat it too with any other type of paint if you want to color match it with the color of your jeep.

Zero Rust Corrosion & Rust Control Paint
Low98Dime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2009, 12:24 PM   #3
scs2016
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks --

just out of curiosity, has anyone removed corner armor after a while? What did it look like under there?
scs2016 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.