Monstaliner Prep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Monstaliner Prep

Warrior Products @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955Advance Adapters SYE KitsUCF Halloween Sale - 15% Off Until Midnight on Friday!

Unread 06-10-2013, 06:29 PM   #1
ayycharlay92
2001 WJ 

Monstaliner Prep

so ive been looking at monstaliner to do the exterior of my wj with, i got into an accident and my new doors are blue and the rest is like the tannish gold. my paint is all scratched up and instead of painting again im just gonna monstaline the whole thing.
so i have figured 3 gallons will cover the whole thing, but i had a few questions,
do i need to prime it first ? or will i be alright just sanding down my paint,
also would it be more recommended to get a spray gun or use the rollers when i do it? i wanna order the stuff soon just dont wanna get to much stuff i wont actaully need or get to little and be screwed

ayycharlay92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 06:42 PM   #2
ATVRACER76
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I believe they want you to use some sort of base primer or sealer before you put the monstaliner on.. Of course, you will have to sand and scuff the exterior to prep for the sealer or primer.. Magnetman would be able to tell you what needs to be used.. I would recomend spraying the liner over rolling it on.. I rolled on that stuff in my interior of my xj and that took quite awhile to do so i couldnt imagine rolling the exterior.. But im sure it could be done either way..
ATVRACER76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 02:18 PM   #3
lunchbox704

I used a product like monstaliner and I didn't have to prime. I just sanded, wiped it clean, and rolled it on.
lunchbox704 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 07:35 PM   #4
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2011 JK Wrangler 

95% of Monstaliner jobs do not use primer. Priming is only recommended when someone has problems with existing paint job... peeling clear coat, cracking/checked paint, etc. or bare metal.

Good scuffing and solvent cleaning is all that's normally needed over original paint
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 04:52 AM   #5
ayycharlay92
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman
95% of Monstaliner jobs do not use primer. Priming is only recommended when someone has problems with existing paint job... peeling clear coat, cracking/checked paint, etc. or bare metal.

Good scuffing and solvent cleaning is all that's normally needed over original paint
When i talked to you recently you said that I should primer because I have 2 different color paints on my jeep
Unread 06-19-2013, 07:29 AM   #6
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayycharlay92 View Post
When i talked to you recently you said that I should primer because I have 2 different color paints on my jeep
That's a reason I left out. Choice of color and coverage is a factor also in your case

Other reason to prime is with some yellows and Predator because of coverage. White primer is recommended here
Unread 06-19-2013, 08:13 AM   #7
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I rolled it on and it looks fine. Roll vs. spray makes a minimal difference in texture.
Built Not Bought #704
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 01:17 PM   #8
ayycharlay92
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman

That's a reason I left out. Choice of color and coverage is a factor also in your case

Other reason to prime is with some yellows and Predator because of coverage. White primer is recommended here
I was thinking a cheaper route would be to paint my doors that are a differnt color the same color as my jeep, than when I do monstaliner the whole jeep I won't have to prime it.
The color of y jeep is gold and I got the desert sand monstaliner. So it shouldn't have an issue with the color showing up under the monstaliner
Unread 06-19-2013, 01:29 PM   #9
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Dude it's like 50 bucks for like 8 cans of primer. More than enough to cover your heep.
Built Not Bought #704
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 09:25 PM   #10
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayycharlay92 View Post
I was thinking a cheaper route would be to paint my doors that are a differnt color the same color as my jeep, than when I do monstaliner the whole jeep I won't have to prime it.
The color of y jeep is gold and I got the desert sand monstaliner. So it shouldn't have an issue with the color showing up under the monstaliner
You could prime only the doors in a light gray and you'll be fine. Get 2 spray cans of rustoleum automotive primer

Even if you wanted to prime the whole rig, 1 quart of our universal primer is enough and only costs $18 and you could roll the whole body with that

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.