JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Paint and Body (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f260/)
-   -   Monstaliner Prep (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f260/monstaliner-prep-1534851/)

ayycharlay92 06-10-2013 06:29 PM

Monstaliner Prep

so ive been looking at monstaliner to do the exterior of my wj with, i got into an accident and my new doors are blue and the rest is like the tannish gold. my paint is all scratched up and instead of painting again im just gonna monstaline the whole thing.
so i have figured 3 gallons will cover the whole thing, but i had a few questions,
do i need to prime it first ? or will i be alright just sanding down my paint,
also would it be more recommended to get a spray gun or use the rollers when i do it? i wanna order the stuff soon just dont wanna get to much stuff i wont actaully need or get to little and be screwed

ATVRACER76 06-11-2013 06:42 PM

I believe they want you to use some sort of base primer or sealer before you put the monstaliner on.. Of course, you will have to sand and scuff the exterior to prep for the sealer or primer.. Magnetman would be able to tell you what needs to be used.. I would recomend spraying the liner over rolling it on.. I rolled on that stuff in my interior of my xj and that took quite awhile to do so i couldnt imagine rolling the exterior.. But im sure it could be done either way..

lunchbox704 06-18-2013 02:18 PM

I used a product like monstaliner and I didn't have to prime. I just sanded, wiped it clean, and rolled it on.

magnetman 06-18-2013 07:35 PM

95% of Monstaliner jobs do not use primer. Priming is only recommended when someone has problems with existing paint job... peeling clear coat, cracking/checked paint, etc. or bare metal.

Good scuffing and solvent cleaning is all that's normally needed over original paint

ayycharlay92 06-19-2013 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magnetman
95% of Monstaliner jobs do not use primer. Priming is only recommended when someone has problems with existing paint job... peeling clear coat, cracking/checked paint, etc. or bare metal.

Good scuffing and solvent cleaning is all that's normally needed over original paint

When i talked to you recently you said that I should primer because I have 2 different color paints on my jeep

magnetman 06-19-2013 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayycharlay92 (Post 15580450)
When i talked to you recently you said that I should primer because I have 2 different color paints on my jeep

That's a reason I left out. Choice of color and coverage is a factor also in your case

Other reason to prime is with some yellows and Predator because of coverage. White primer is recommended here

DNFJ 06-19-2013 08:13 AM

I rolled it on and it looks fine. Roll vs. spray makes a minimal difference in texture.

ayycharlay92 06-19-2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magnetman

That's a reason I left out. Choice of color and coverage is a factor also in your case

Other reason to prime is with some yellows and Predator because of coverage. White primer is recommended here

I was thinking a cheaper route would be to paint my doors that are a differnt color the same color as my jeep, than when I do monstaliner the whole jeep I won't have to prime it.
The color of y jeep is gold and I got the desert sand monstaliner. So it shouldn't have an issue with the color showing up under the monstaliner

DNFJ 06-19-2013 01:29 PM

Dude it's like 50 bucks for like 8 cans of primer. More than enough to cover your heep.

magnetman 06-20-2013 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayycharlay92 (Post 15582354)
I was thinking a cheaper route would be to paint my doors that are a differnt color the same color as my jeep, than when I do monstaliner the whole jeep I won't have to prime it.
The color of y jeep is gold and I got the desert sand monstaliner. So it shouldn't have an issue with the color showing up under the monstaliner

You could prime only the doors in a light gray and you'll be fine. Get 2 spray cans of rustoleum automotive primer

Even if you wanted to prime the whole rig, 1 quart of our universal primer is enough and only costs $18 and you could roll the whole body with that

The time now is 09:32 AM.