Monstaliner Jeep floor kit? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Monstaliner Jeep floor kit?

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 07-15-2013, 07:16 PM   #1
HDPARTSDUDE
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Monstaliner Jeep floor kit?

I've been reading threads about this product and I think I want to try it. Someone mentioned a Jeep kit for under $100. Does anyone know if its available. Is there anyone who has installed this liner and been unhappy with it? Tips, suggestions?

HDPARTSDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 07:36 PM   #2
Loadsmasher
1999 TJ Wrangler 

So far as I knew the standard Jeep kit is 1 gal for 2 coats in a non-LJ tub at roughly $165. I suggest getting the 2" roller as well because there are plenty of spots that need it.
Overall, VERY pleased with my Monstaliner install. I scuffed the surface with a heavy grit polymer (about fine metal wire) wire wheel, wiped with acetone (had this but no mek on hand-called and got the thumbs up from MP) and it went on great resulting in a very durable finish. Be sure to be even in thickness and rolling as it really does affect the final surface as much as they say.
Unread 07-15-2013, 08:01 PM   #3
HDPARTSDUDE
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I pulled everything out yesterday and started striping the floor with a wire wheel. I pulled the plugs and I'm picking up JK oval plugs tomorrow. As long as I leave it in the dry garage I shouldn't have to worry about covering the bare mental should I? I've been tooling around on Harley's forever but this is my first attempt at body repair. I had a small amount of surface rust in the floorpans. The carpet was rotten and nasty, both prob due to the leak I have under the dash in a down pour. Still trying to figure that one out.
Guess I need to call ML and get a kit. Thanks!
Unread 07-16-2013, 07:02 AM   #4
Loadsmasher
1999 TJ Wrangler 

If I remember correctly, Monstaliner doesn't stick very well to bare metal, at least not like it should. Granted, I had a couple bare spots where I wire wheeled out some rust but generally smaller than a half dollar. If that's what you have it shouldn't be a problem, but if it sits more than overnight I'd be tempted to throw more acetone on.
Unread 07-16-2013, 03:19 PM   #5
airwin10
2008 JK Wrangler 

I just got mine in the mail today. I bought the 2 gallon kit for my jku and have a couple other small things I want to put it on. I'm gonna strip it down tonight and put it on tomorrow. I'll let you know how mine goes. Maybe take some pics too.
airwin10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 05:58 PM   #6
HDPARTSDUDE
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The jack bracket welded to the floor, tape it off or roll it with liner?
Unread 07-16-2013, 06:00 PM   #7
HDPARTSDUDE
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Same question- Rear seat brackets?
Unread 07-16-2013, 06:09 PM   #8
HDPARTSDUDE
2001 TJ Wrangler 

And my drain holes, I want to use the rubber plugs once I've got the tube lined. Do I need to tape off the edge of the holes so the plugs will still fit?
Unread 07-16-2013, 06:30 PM   #9
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDPARTSDUDE View Post
The jack bracket welded to the floor, tape it off or roll it with liner?
Your choice. If you don't see them it's no big deal to leave them

You could just brush them because there may be a sharp edge when rolling and why risk tearing the foam on a roller
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 06:32 PM   #10
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
And my drain holes, I want to use the rubber plugs once I've got the tube lined. Do I need to tape off the edge of the holes so the plugs will still fit?
I know many people plug the holes... I've done 15+ pickup beds and 5 Jeep tubs. I plugged holes on the first job and never did it again. You will never have an issue reinstalling a bolt unless you left it for many weeks to cure
Unread 07-16-2013, 06:35 PM   #11
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I've been reading threads about this product and I think I want to try it. Someone mentioned a Jeep kit for under $100. Does anyone know if its available. Is there anyone who has installed this liner and been unhappy with it? Tips, suggestions?
Using the promo codes in the link in my sig below.. The black 1 gal kit is $145.40 with free shipping and a free quart of Chassis Saver worth $40
Unread 07-16-2013, 07:26 PM   #12
HDPARTSDUDE
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman

Using the promo codes in the link in my sig below.. The black 1 gal kit is $145.40 with free shipping and a free quart of Chassis Saver worth $40
Shoot! Already placed my order last night. But thanks! And thanks for the help, seriously!

So I do think I want to keep the holes accessible incase I want to hose it out but I'd like to know how to go about both choices. If Im lining over the wholes as you said you have done more often than not, did you just line over the rubber plugs sealing them in? And if I leave them in should I leave a metal edge for the plugs to hook onto? Thirdly, am I over thinking this?! lol. Sorry, just trying to think ahead so installation goes smooth.

Today it was too darn hot to work much but I got some help getting my hard top off which should make things easier. I ordered JK oval plugs and new hardtop fasteners. And I'm took the mirror brackets off my full hard doors and removed the mirrors so I can get those brackets powder coated. I also got out the seat belts and removed some of the cage covers. Those were dirty!
Unread 07-17-2013, 09:54 PM   #13
airwin10
2008 JK Wrangler 

I just finished my second coat before it got dark tonight. It looks good. I'm glad I bought a wire brush attachment for my drill. It made prepping much faster. I just wish I would have had a second set of hands. You have to keep mixing the stuff to keep it from hardening.
image-99268432.jpg

airwin10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 06:07 AM   #14
Loadsmasher
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwin10 View Post
I just finished my second coat before it got dark tonight. It looks good. I'm glad I bought a wire brush attachment for my drill. It made prepping much faster. I just wish I would have had a second set of hands. You have to keep mixing the stuff to keep it from hardening.
Awesome! You'll love it.
Did you keep the lid on the can between coats?
Unread 07-18-2013, 06:35 AM   #15
HDPARTSDUDE
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwin10
Did you use the wire brush to scuff your paint? What kind if wire?

Looks great!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.