metal prep for paint what you use and why - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > metal prep for paint what you use and why

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-07-2013, 03:54 AM   #1
fearior
1992 YJ Wrangler 

metal prep for paint what you use and why

I'll be painting my jeep soon. My buddy is in body work and likes to use acetone for metal prep. I've used zep fast evap id red at work for a different application but like it and I can see the merit in possibly using it for paint prep. What do you use. and is there a reason one or the other does a better job. I'm new to paint so i just want it done right. I could be overthinking this but tell me what you think. I will be painting mostly sandblasted bare metal.

fearior is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 11:58 AM   #2
mg2380
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Acetone here.
mg2380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 10:07 PM   #3
turpehar
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

There are many different brands of Acetone. In it's pure form it would be OK. However, pure acetone is not avaialble to the general public. Acetone you can buy may have many different components in it depending on the manufacturer.

Go to your local paint store and ask for Grease/Wax/Silicone remover. Some of your parts stores may have it in smaller quantities.
wax_grease_remover_large.jpg  

(Trial + error)*Upgrades) - $² = (mac-n-cheese/hot dogs)+experience

https://www.facebook.com/CentralILOffRoad

http://centraliloffroad.com/
turpehar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 07:44 PM   #4
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

X2 on the wax and grease remover. On junk I also have used Brake Clean when out of W&G remover.

Ron

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.