Line-X on powder coating - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Line-X on powder coating

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-04-2013, 12:08 AM   #1
02libbyfirstcar
2002 KJ Liberty 

Line-X on powder coating

Hey guys, i just got my new ARB front bumper in the mail and i was considering getting it Line-X'd along with my fender flares and lower half of doors. I've heard rumors that line-x does not adhere well to powder coating, has anyone heard of this? do you think ill have any problems with my plan? its not like its a truck bed that is constantly be getting beat up so im hoping not to have any problems

02libbyfirstcar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2013, 10:24 AM   #2
ATVRACER76
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I havent heard that before.. I would think as long as they prep it right there shouldnt be any issues.. If your real concerned you could always go get the bumper sandblasted before you lineX it.. I had the insides of my fenders done in lineX and all i did was sanded the area with 120 grit sandpaper and they cleaned and sprayed it.. I know it isnt powder but mines still holding strong.. I think its how they prep the surface will determine how well it holds up..
ATVRACER76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 08:21 AM   #3
02libbyfirstcar
2002 KJ Liberty 

Yeah I hear with any form of painting that prep work is key. Will the line x adhere to the plastic fender flares? And how much am I looking at to get the bumper sand blasted
Unread 05-06-2013, 03:14 PM   #4
ATVRACER76
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Are the flares painted or are they textured raw plastic? If they are painted, im sure it would need to be prepped just like any other painted surface.. If they are raw, id ask the place you plan to have the lineX done as im not a 100%.. If they were mine id sand em with 80 grit until all the textured design is completely gone and give em that..

As for sandblasting cost, i would just get out the phone book and start calling around.. Sandblasting is really not to expensive to have done.. I got two axles done for 75 locally but prices could vary from the midwest to the east coast..
ATVRACER76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 07:48 PM   #5
02libbyfirstcar
2002 KJ Liberty 

They are the textured plastic. I'll talk to the local line x and see what they suggest. Thank you
Unread 05-06-2013, 08:52 PM   #6
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Line-X sticks to powdercoat just fine, take the sheen off with some sandpaper and good to go. Really the only thing Line-X doesen't stick to is rubber.

If your flares are painted, get the paint off. The paint will flake and the Line-X is stuck to the paint. When that happens well the Line-X peels. I've had my flares Line-Xed for 3 years now and they have rubbed plenty of rocks and are still good.
Moabrubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 09:26 PM   #7
02libbyfirstcar
2002 KJ Liberty 

They are the plastic flares for a 2002 liberty sport, idk any other models that have similar type flares for a comparison. If they will stick to them the way it is then perfect, otherwise please let me know what prep work is required before I take the 30 mile trip to confirm with local line x
Unread 05-06-2013, 09:30 PM   #8
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02libbyfirstcar View Post
They are the plastic flares for a 2002 liberty sport, idk any other models that have similar type flares for a comparison. If they will stick to them the way it is then perfect, otherwise please let me know what prep work is required before I take the 30 mile trip to confirm with local line x
As long as they aren't coated with armor all or any other greasy stuff they will be fine. The Line-X guys will sand and clean them up for you.
Moabrubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 09:58 PM   #9
02libbyfirstcar
2002 KJ Liberty 

Yeah when I was getting a quote from them he was saying any work I do in advance will save me labor charges, like removal and reinstall of bumpers and flares. But I hear what your saying about the greasy stuff
Unread 05-07-2013, 10:16 AM   #10
Zone

LINE-X will stick to powdercoat, no problem.

LINE-X is fine for the plastic flares as long as the flares are encapsulated with the LINE-X.

If you want black LINE-X, be sure to get black LINE-X Premium which will hold its color and gloss.

Zone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 10:32 AM   #11
02libbyfirstcar
2002 KJ Liberty 

Cool thank you everyone for the help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.