Jeep xj windshield rust - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Jeep xj windshield rust

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 04-19-2013, 06:17 PM   #1
bobthecatkiller
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Jeep xj windshield rust

I'm having a brand new windshield put in but before they come to put it in I'd like to sand down the rust (just some surface rust) and prime/paint.
Would I need a special primer for the windshield urethane to adhere to?

me: yaaaaa.
bobthecatkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2013, 08:30 PM   #2
ATVRACER76
1998 XJ Cherokee 

No special primer or paint needed as the windshield guy can put new sealant on the windshield frame.. I will recommend using a self etching primer for the bare metal so new rust doesnt form.. Try to remove all the rust that already there before ya primer it..
ATVRACER76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 02:48 PM   #3
bobthecatkiller
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATVRACER76
No special primer or paint needed as the windshield guy can put new sealant on the windshield frame.. I will recommend using a self etching primer for the bare metal so new rust doesnt form.. Try to remove all the rust that already there before ya primer it..
So just some rattle can self etching primer then? I just don't want leaks.
I was kind of wondering if chassis saver could work? As I feel windshield frames on jeeps are just prone to rust.
Unread 04-20-2013, 04:45 PM   #4
ATVRACER76
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Only use chassis saver if there is rust that will not come all the way off when sanding.. If you have rust left over you cant remove, apply the chassis saver directly on the rust and not on bare metal as it doesnt like sticking to metal thats not rusted.. Id use a little paint brush to apply it to any rust.. Primer over everything after the chassis saver drys.. If you can get all the rust sanded out there is no need for the chassis saver.. Use any self etching primer you would like.. Are you planning on blending the paint after or are you spraying the whole roof? What color is your ride? After its fixed, make sure ya try to keep it clean and it shouldnt rust again.. Even or should i say especially in the winter when the d.o.t. gets crazy with the salt..
Unread 04-22-2013, 10:37 AM   #5
bobthecatkiller
2000 XJ Cherokee 

It's really nothing big, just a little surface rust under the rubber molding so I shouldn't have to blend anything since it will be covered by the molding.
My xjs color is desert sand (monstaliner)
Unread 04-23-2013, 05:25 AM   #6
ATVRACER76
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I hope its not a big spot for you too.. Although, alot of times what rust you do see is usually twice as bad under the surface.. Ive seen spots of rust the size of a penny only to start sanding it out and turns into a spot silver dollar size under the paint. So, your jeep is all monstalinered? That would make for a much easier fix in my opinion.. Blending paint on a roof can be a tricky task..

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.