Jeep Undercoating Opinions - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Jeep Undercoating Opinions

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-19-2013, 09:52 PM   #16
bobthecatkiller
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker709
If living in a snow state where the roads get salted reguluraly,i'd go with a marine coating for the fact it's made to withstand salt damage...

The biggest problem with rust in everything is not the outside where you can see it,it's inside frame rails and inside body panels where moisture and bad road salts collect and stay and then eventualy rusts out from the inside out....
Eastwood makes a product that goes inside the frame rails.

me: yaaaaa.
bobthecatkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 06:15 AM   #17
TJJeepJosh
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
I used U-pol Gravitex on the bottom of my tub. It's still a new and I haven't finished the rest of the build to be able to put the tub on yet but the stuff sprayed on great and looks good.

[/QUOTE]

wish I could take off my whole tub and spray it like that. Looks really nice tho
Unread 04-20-2013, 06:44 AM   #18
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Thanks
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 06:41 PM   #19
insaneinline
2013 JK Wrangler 

I'm looking at undercoating options as well and I have my tub off , what was the prep work for the upol stuff Not trying to hijack this but I've been racking my brain with so many options
insaneinline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 02:00 AM   #20
Roadhouse79
1999 TJ Wrangler 

That looks great!
Roadhouse79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 02:33 AM   #21
Cherokeegrrl
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I did a friend's CJ underbody & frame with POR 15 & plain old paint about 5 years ago. For my XJ I used rattlecan rubberized undercoating that I touch up pretty much any time I get any scratches from rocks. So far neither vehicle has rust underneath. They both got flooded & sat in nasty salt water following Hurricane Sandy, and both sat without being hosed off underneath for weeks following the storm (house damage was a bigger priority).

At this time both vehicles are as they were before the dunking. Can't speak to inside the framerails, but visually the undercoating has held up very, very well.
Red Jeep Club Member #425
"Mud is evil."
Cherokeegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 04:24 AM   #22
killerpianist

1980 cj-5

Replaced the body with a fiberglass tub. I live in NewYork and drive it all year round. So what good is a fiberglass tub if its mounted to a regular steel box frame. Completely stripped the frame with a sand blaster all the way down to silver shiney metal. Then did an acid wash just incase there was still any trace amounts of cancer. Then a good schlepin of POR-15 which is really great stuff btw. Then ontop of that about 5-6 large cans of rubberized undercoating which took about 2 weeks to dry. Then every now and then ill spray a few shots of 3 in 1 oil through every factory hole in the boxed frame. Replaced all brake and fuel lines and exhaust with stainless steel. That was all about three years ago and its a little dirty with road grime but there aint any rust under there.
killerpianist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 11:22 AM   #23
Jacob02tj
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthecatkiller View Post
Eastwood makes a product that goes inside the frame rails.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker709 View Post
If living in a snow state where the roads get salted reguluraly,i'd go with a marine coating for the fact it's made to withstand salt damage...

The biggest problem with rust in everything is not the outside where you can see it,it's inside frame rails and inside body panels where moisture and bad road salts collect and stay and then eventualy rusts out from the inside out....
What is the best way to protect the inside of the frame. Would it be an extremely bad idea to do something like block off some of the holes in the frame, granted that the inside was rust free.

also the outside of my frame had some surface rust when i got the Jeep so I can only assume the inside is that much worse what would be the best way to go about preventing further rust on the inside of the frame?
Jacob02tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 06:47 PM   #24
TJJeepJosh
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob02tj View Post
What is the best way to protect the inside of the frame. Would it be an extremely bad idea to do something like block off some of the holes in the frame, granted that the inside was rust free.

also the outside of my frame had some surface rust when i got the Jeep so I can only assume the inside is that much worse what would be the best way to go about preventing further rust on the inside of the frame?
I don't have enough mechanical experience or skills to take my body off or remove my frame. Tried to get as much as I could on mine.

I sanded down and cleaned the parts of my frame that had rust and/or were going to start rusting soon. Then I painted over those spots with 2 coats of chassis saver and a flat black paint on top of that.

As far as the inside of the frame rails I plan on using that product by Eastwood. Looks like it would work well for the space provided. I might be wrong but even if you have no rust on the inside of the frame rails, blocking the holes off would not be a good idea. The moisture,water,etc is going to find some way to get in there and if you block off the majority of the holes it will have a hard time getting out.
Unread 05-16-2013, 11:01 PM   #25
Jacob02tj
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJeepJosh View Post
I might be wrong but even if you have no rust on the inside of the frame rails, blocking the holes off would not be a good idea. The moisture,water,etc is going to find some way to get in there and if you block off the majority of the holes it will have a hard time getting out.
Thats kinda what I was thinking. It just seems like mud dirt etc is always getting in there which I figured would accelerate rusting out from the inside.
Jacob02tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 04:14 AM   #26
TJJeepJosh
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob02tj View Post
Thats kinda what I was thinking. It just seems like mud dirt etc is always getting in there which I figured would accelerate rusting out from the inside.
when I first bought mine there was actually full sized leaves somehow stuff into the back parts of the frame rails. How, I don't know. But they got in there.

Once I clean it out in there I'm going to try to get some of the internal undercoating stuff.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.