Jeep Undercoating Opinions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Jeep Undercoating Opinions

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 02-22-2013, 09:33 PM   #1
TJJeepJosh
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep Undercoating Opinions

Bought my jeep a little while ago and have noticed some rust underneath it. Nothing too serious but it would make me feel better to fix it before it gets any worse.
I've looked into undercoat paints a bit and so far these seem to be the top.
-Chassis Saver
-Herculiner
-Monsta Liner
-Rhinoliner
-Raptorliner

Any suggestions or opinions on which would work/is better? I want to make sure I do it right the first time.

Unread 03-04-2013, 08:47 AM   #2
sxysouthtx
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well, I had my undercoating done by Ziebart. It has held up fantastically. I looks shiny and new. This winter season was a pretty good test for it. They salt the roads around here and we've got quite a bit of snow this year. And not even a speck of rust or corrosion. The only issue that was troubling was the smell. But the smell dissipated after about a month. I think it was worth every penny.
Unread 03-24-2013, 06:57 PM   #3
TJJeepJosh
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I want to do my undercoating myself. To save money and so I know what is going on under there. I'm kind of stuck between herculiner, Chassis Saver, or Rustoleum undercoating.. Anyone have any experience using any of these?
Unread 03-30-2013, 09:42 PM   #4
Capn_GEECH
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Bump. I'd like to hear people opinions as well. I am planning on using a spray on bedliner for different areas on my TJ but have not planned on using it as an undercoating. I would like to do it myself as well.
Capn_GEECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 11:13 AM   #5
JeepWillis
1983 CJ7 

i hear Monstaliner is pretty good.
JeepWillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 11:45 AM   #6
sxysouthtx
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Go with anything with a good rep. I got mine done for free with a gift certificate. But if I were to pay, I'd go with a good quality bed liner.
Unread 03-31-2013, 07:27 PM   #7
Cherokee95kid
1995 ZJ 

What about the duplicator bed liner spry kit for painting the unibody. I've been hearing good things about it. I just don't know how a rubberized Bedliner would hold up.
Cherokee95kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 08:16 PM   #8
TJJeepJosh
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Have kept researching and to me the best option for do it yourself undercoating seems to be Chassis Saver by MonstaLiner.
http://www.shop.monstaliner.com/Chas...-UCP970-04.htm
As long as you prep the surface by getting off any bubbling rust you should be able to paint over it using this. Then, if you care, paint over it with a top coat of paint since it states that the color in the undercoat will fade.
Unread 04-04-2013, 07:10 AM   #9
kyrubicon
1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxysouthtx View Post
Well, I had my undercoating done by Ziebart. It has held up fantastically. I looks shiny and new. This winter season was a pretty good test for it. They salt the roads around here and we've got quite a bit of snow this year. And not even a speck of rust or corrosion. The only issue that was troubling was the smell. But the smell dissipated after about a month. I think it was worth every penny.
Where did you get this done? Im in ky looking to do the same thing soon. Also how much if you dont mind? Tx
kyrubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 07:22 AM   #10
sxysouthtx
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I got mine done in south Texas, Corpus Christi to be exact. Without the gift certificate it was about 290-350 bucks. Steep, but wow. It's been holding up. When I clean the underside, it looks like a factory job.
Unread 04-04-2013, 03:00 PM   #11
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

If living in a snow state where the roads get salted reguluraly,i'd go with a marine coating for the fact it's made to withstand salt damage...

The biggest problem with rust in everything is not the outside where you can see it,it's inside frame rails and inside body panels where moisture and bad road salts collect and stay and then eventualy rusts out from the inside out....

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 04:17 PM   #12
ky_black_ss

I'm doing my in spray in bed liner and tinting it to the color of my jeep
ky_black_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2013, 10:36 AM   #13
ATVRACER76
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I did my interior with monstaliner and will use it for the undercoating as well.. It goes on nice but it does have a smell for about a month.. If you have rust, first scrape off what you can and then use chassis saver or por 15 directly on the rusty areas and let dry a day before you put on your bedliner of choice.. The chassis saver will stop the rust from speading under the bedliner you use.. Any really tight areas i couldnt reach i would just use some 3m undercoating in a rattlecan..
ATVRACER76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 06:51 PM   #14
insaneinline
2013 JK Wrangler 

I've been thinking about lizard skin
insaneinline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2013, 06:47 AM   #15
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I used U-pol Gravitex on the bottom of my tub. It's still a new and I haven't finished the rest of the build to be able to put the tub on yet but the stuff sprayed on great and looks good.

[/QUOTE]
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.