Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Jeep liberty trailer

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  codybutz 
#1 · (Edited)
http://www.longchih.com.tw/style/co...mer_id=2093&name_id=83515&rid=40641&id=226966Hello guys, I wasnt sure which forum I should ask for help regarding this item. This looks like the most likely place.

Im hoping you guys could give me some advice. I have a very small motorcycle trailer, which is begining to buble under the paint.. and rust at some spots. (see link for trailer)

Id like to save my trailer, its very usefull and was purchased pretty cheap :)

How should I go about protecting the metal? I assume I have to sand the rust off and repaint??

Any suggesting on getting the rust off? What kind of paint should I use? spray, brush on? It doesnt have to be pretty.. I just want to stop it from rusting.

All advice, greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

#2 ·
hey i am a paint and body man a my own shop in Las Vegas and i know you defiantly need to sand the rust off i would suggest with 80 grit sand paper. then after all the rust is gone i would spray a primer on it before you paint it just for added protection. Paint wouldn't be your best option for rust protection i would go with rhino liner or some type off bed liner. It is harder for the rust and or water/mud to stick too.

#3 ·
FST, thanks for the quick response. Question about sanding? I apoligize if this is a silly question. The small spots that need to be sanded.. can I sand them with some kind of attachment to my drill? Sure would make life alot easier. I also have one of those small handheld sanders.

Now regarding the bedliner? Im confused. The trailer is a small open trailer, it doesnt actually have a bed, just bars which are bolted together to make a frame, then the rail.. sits on the frame. (see the above link). How should I go about painting this,, once its primed? Can I paint it with black oil paint? or spray cans (seems easier). Once agaain, all feedback, appreciated.

#4 ·
yea you can sand it with a drill attachment or with your hand sander. You can buy bed liner in a can and once the spots are primed the bed liner will stick too the primer just cause its bed liner it doesn't need to be on a bed lol :D that way it is harder for water and mud to soak in to the metal of the trailer.

#8 ·
POR-15 for the trailer, then use a POR top coat. HOLLY POST!!!!! FST1994ZJ spends a lot of time on jeepforum.com :eyebulge:
holy **** WHAT THE ****!!! 4,000,000,000???????:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

#6 ·
I agree, use POR 15, it adhears to the rust and bonds permenantly. I have used it on many occassions and have been very satisfied. look it up, it is used by many.
Get a sand paper disc for your grinder to take the old paint off and just cover it up. You can easily brush or roll on the POR 15.
Steve

#10 ·
Go to por15.com and read directions, they are very detailed.
You paint directly over the rust without a primer. You can get solvent that will prepare the surface, but I have never used it and it and have had great results.

I will be painting this off road tralier that I built with POR 15 in the next few days.

#12 ·
make sure to check with the makers of por-15 i don't think you can let it be exposed to the sun with out buying and mixing in the additive. i might be wrong on this or maybe they have a new product but last i remember it doesn't hold up to the uv like bed liners do. just my .02 cents

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.