I HATE carpet glue!!!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > I HATE carpet glue!!!!!

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsLabor Day Sale!

Unread 03-15-2013, 12:16 AM   #1
Brewsky88
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I HATE carpet glue!!!!!

Ok, so I got the carpet and padding out no problem, used Goof-Off to take care of the glue which it ate up like a fat lady with a pizza, but now I'm stuck with glue residue all over the place that does NOT want to let go of the tub. Acetone helps but it's taking entirely too much to be practical. Any suggestions?

Unread 03-15-2013, 08:19 AM   #2
baldfatdad

I took a wire brush on the grinder. If you are using acetone. Soak a rag in it, lay the rag on the glue, cover with aluminum foil. Let stand for 10 min, then wipe. I used two or three rags, so one could soak while I cleaned up another. WEAR A RESPIRATOR! Acetone is bad stuff.
baldfatdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2013, 09:26 PM   #3
sxysouthtx
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I used mineral spirits. Tore through that stuff and I didn't have any left over residue.
Unread 03-16-2013, 12:04 PM   #4
Jeepnaut
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxysouthtx View Post
I used mineral spirits. Tore through that stuff and I didn't have any left over residue.
Sweet. I was going to suggest white vinegar - it works better at sticker residue etc. than commercial products specifically for adhesive residues. Vinegar with a tiny bit of kitchen oil can work too.

I'll try some mineral spirits on a really big, old sticker that the PO stuck square on the rear window. Sticker is so thin that I can't grab it to tear it up, but scraping scratches the sepia window.
Jeepnaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2013, 12:06 PM   #5
Saul32
1988 FSJ Wagoneer 

pics?? and what are you going to throw down on it now that you removed the carpet?
Unread 03-17-2013, 12:11 PM   #6
sxysouthtx
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Good luck man. I used a an old microfiber towel that I soaked. Even stuck insulation covered in glue came up. I've used acetone with some success, but did leave a little residue.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.