HVLP rustoleum? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > HVLP rustoleum?

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 10-29-2013, 11:21 AM   #1
WolfcreekCJ
1977 CJ7 

HVLP rustoleum?

Looking to paint my rollbar black. I have painted my jeep with Primer/Base/clear already and I'm satisfied with the results. I have not, however, tried to use regular rustoleum through My gun. Dont really want to spend money on the matching color of my jeep so I would like to use black satin rusto' from a quart can on my bumpers and rollbar. the instructions say to use acetone as a thinner. What results can I expect assuming I have prepped it right. the reason i ask is that occasionally when i have sprayed the second coat from a rattle can I get that dreaded wrinkly finish. I don't want that to happen after all my prep work . any recommendations would be appreciated.rollbar has been wet sanded with 100 grit with Mild degreaser added and thouroughly rinsed. it would appear that the old finish is industrial enamel that is sticking pretty good. I'm gonna do this anyway, just "mining the forum for tips or what to look out for. Thanks.

Unread 10-29-2013, 01:21 PM   #2
jetmech59

I have painted a horse trailer and my tube bumpers with Rustoleum thinned with acetone. Both times the result was a pretty good finish that is durable. Fog a light coat on first and after a few minutes shoot a normal coat.
jetmech59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2013, 03:47 PM   #3
WolfcreekCJ
1977 CJ7 

Thanks, Just thought I'd see if someone had tried it to see if it was worth the effort.
Unread 10-30-2013, 10:44 PM   #4
Indy

Ive done a cople vehicles using paint thinner as a reducer. Worked well enough. For a roll bar spray cans may be simpler.
Unread 10-31-2013, 12:11 PM   #5
WolfcreekCJ
1977 CJ7 

thanks. I thinned it with about 10-20% acetone. sprayed well enough with hvlp. Wanted to avoid "dry lines" associated with spray cans. Veerryy slow to dry though. Otherwise looks good.
Unread 11-01-2013, 09:07 PM   #6
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have done this often. The acetone does give me a headache though. And thats with a resperator.
How about some pics of the finished job?

Ron

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2013, 11:28 AM   #7
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Also the acetone seems to leave a less glossy finish than mineral spirits when sprayed. The acetone helps it dry much faster than mineral spirits also.

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2013, 05:47 PM   #8
WolfcreekCJ
1977 CJ7 

Unfortunately I am unable to put the jeep in the sun for a photo because my transmission is at the Gear Gnashers shop. Ill try these. rollbar wet sanded with 100 grit and thoroughly cleaned. Satin black Rustoleum thinned about 15% with acetone. Sprayed through HVLP with 1.5 tip. Turned out great , saved 100$ by not buying a quart of color matched paint/clear. Cost about 6 bucks to do my bumper and rollbar.It did ,however , take 3 days for the paint to set up enough to handle . It was cool and damp here , mid 50s, so that didn't help. The whole jeep is red and black so it fits right in.
rollbar-1.jpg   2013-11-04_0406_edited-2.jpg  
Unread 11-07-2013, 09:15 PM   #9
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2011 JK Wrangler 

You can add some synthetic enamel hardener to that type of paint to kick it over hard in 24 hours.
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2013, 02:08 AM   #10
LowLyfe
2002 WJ 

Thanks for the tip magnetman. I have sprayed a full truck frame and a utility trailer with rustoleum thinned about 15% out of my hvlp harbor freight gun with awesome results but my only real dislike was waiting for it to cure, usually a few days to handle any parts so next time I spray something with rustoleum I will use a hardener like you mentioned.
Unread 11-08-2013, 08:14 AM   #11
WolfcreekCJ
1977 CJ7 

Thanks Magnetman . I used your bedliner and Chassis paint on my project and was very happy with the results. Does you company sell that hardener or is it common stuff at auto parts or paint supply . Way to go on the new digs.
Unread 11-08-2013, 08:54 AM   #12
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Cool, glad you are happy!

We make a hardener for synthetic enamel or you can very likely get something that's compatible with Rustoleum at Tractor Supply. They may have a smaller can even than the pints we sell. This is ours

Unread 11-08-2013, 08:57 AM   #13
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Never try using acrylic enamel hardener with Rustoleum type paint or there is a chance you will get cottage cheese.
Unread 11-10-2013, 07:41 AM   #14
jamesdart
1978 FSJ Wagoneer 

I used to use rust oleum for rims, chassis, and floors. I even painted the engine in my 31 Essex coupe with it. there is a product by flood at home depot, oil paint conditioner, something like that. it made the paint flow and level out better, which was nice with the gloss paints. otherwise I just thin it with acetone or lacquer thinner. I bought a gallon of tractor primer and paint at tractor supply, with there hardener. it works pretty nice. it seems to cure harder and more durable than rust oleum. first time I used it, I sprayed the primer, and thought id save the hardener for the paint. I figured it was the same oil based crap as rust oleum, thinned it and sprayed it. it never fully cured. never. i thought the primer was bad. then i decided to use the hardener and it worked good.
jamesdart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2013, 10:59 AM   #15
cjj

Hello jamesdart.
What model rustoleum do you use?for chassis, floors, rims and engine? for this only use the tractor supply?
thanks
cjj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.