hvlp gun set-up help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > hvlp gun set-up help

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChIron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCK

Unread 10-05-2009, 09:43 PM   #1
hockeyplayer21
2000 TJ Wrangler 

hvlp gun set-up help

I bought a cheap HVLP gun from harbor freight that came with an air regulator. I have a hose and a compressor that can run it. Do i need anything else? I remember reading something about "air drying" piece that goes either on the compressor end or the gun end of the hose. Could someone help me out and let me know what i need?

hockeyplayer21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2009, 10:30 PM   #2
2000jeeper
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I always put my filter at the compressor end of the hose.

You will love the HVLP gun. I sprayed the front end sheet metal with one for the first time here recently and loved it. Mine is also gravity feed. Much better control over syphon feed
Unread 10-05-2009, 10:33 PM   #3
2000jeeper
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Also make sure you have the right pressure setting at the gun. Use the regulator they supplied with the gun.

Are you using it for primer or top coat or both.

My settings for primer was 40 psi at the gun (regulator) and 45 psi for top coat. But each paint is different
Unread 10-05-2009, 10:43 PM   #4
samuraisavr
2003 TJ Wrangler 

what ever you do, be sure to run a inline filter. The HF stuff typically get oil in their lines and once you get some oil in your material, you're done. as stated, keep you pressure right at or around the above mentioned pressure settings. Try to do a spray out card to test your pattern and check to see if the material is grainy. Also be sure to use the proper tips. I like a 1.6mm for primer, and a 1.4mm for base and clear. But the best thing is to just start painting stuff and getting accustomed to the gun settings. Good Luck and let us know if you run into any snags (sags)
Pocket
samuraisavr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2009, 08:50 AM   #5
hockeyplayer21
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Should i have a seperate air hose just for the hvlp gun? from using an impact wrench, won't some of the oil potentially be in the hose still? i'm not looking to spend a ton of money on stuff right now, but if its neccessary i can get a new hose. any idea of what kind of inline filter to use? i'm somewhat new to air tools. i'm painting a set of full doors, not color matching but my amber fire tj didnt look good with dark green full doors, and i'm also in the process of swapping out damaged body parts, and wanted the colors to "somewhat" match. i have an amber fire tub with black grill, hood, windshield frame, cowl, (grill, hood, windshield frame and cowl aren't installed yet) and black primered fenders, and soon to be black doors so it will somewhat match. In the next year or two i'd like to repaint my jeep to the original amber fire color or corvette atomic orange.
hockeyplayer21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2009, 11:51 AM   #6
2000jeeper
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyplayer21 View Post
Should i have a seperate air hose just for the hvlp gun? from using an impact wrench, won't some of the oil potentially be in the hose still? i'm not looking to spend a ton of money on stuff right now, but if its neccessary i can get a new hose. any idea of what kind of inline filter to use? i'm somewhat new to air tools. i'm painting a set of full doors, not color matching but my amber fire tj didnt look good with dark green full doors, and i'm also in the process of swapping out damaged body parts, and wanted the colors to "somewhat" match. i have an amber fire tub with black grill, hood, windshield frame, cowl, (grill, hood, windshield frame and cowl aren't installed yet) and black primered fenders, and soon to be black doors so it will somewhat match. In the next year or two i'd like to repaint my jeep to the original amber fire color or corvette atomic orange.
I use a dedicated air line when i paint. When done i disconnect and roll it up and connect the 2 ends together. But thats just me.
Unread 10-13-2009, 10:50 PM   #7
turpehar
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Check this out.

Paint Gun Perfection- Rod & Custom Magazine | Rod & Custom Magazine Article at Automotive.com

(Trial + error)*Upgrades) - $ = (mac-n-cheese/hot dogs)+experience

https://www.facebook.com/CentralILOffRoad

http://centraliloffroad.com/
turpehar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2009, 03:39 PM   #8
Camarofreak86

Hey there!
I work for the government painting F-35 prototypes, tanks...turrets and all the other good **** you see on TV. and YES i have done plenty of the 50-60's era cars.
Here is one thing that not one of the people mentioned to you, Your air pressure AT THE GUN, is ALL DETERMINED BY WHAT KIND OF PRODUCT YOU ARE USING.
EX. Polyurethane or Enamel or Epoxy or lacquer or waterborne.
The difference is that each chemical does and WILL have a different atomizing pressure. so for instance, for 15% thinned out polyurethane I would spray at 30PSI AT THE GUN, ( if you go lower it will seem seedy on the panel) 20% thinned Epoxy I would spray at 18psi, and so on and so fourth. Waterborne you generally will reduce 175% with De-ionized water. If anymore more questions feel free to message me!
-Joshua
Camarofreak86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.