How many quarts do I need? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > How many quarts do I need?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 01-20-2011, 04:43 PM   #1
shad366
2002 WJ 

How many quarts do I need?

I am going to paint my ZJ this summer. It's basically going to be a full body touch up; I will not be changing colors or anything, so I won't have to paint the inside of the doors, underhood area, etc. I won't have to paint the bumpers either. How many quarts of primer, base coat, and clearcoat will I need? I would rather have too much than too little... but I'm still on a budget

Also, would it be cheaper to buy the base coat online (quote was $80/qt.) or at the dealership? (I think I already know the answer to that one... )

Thanks a bundle!

Unread 01-21-2011, 04:44 AM   #2
lobukjeep
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Well if your on a budget forget basecoat/clear.Go to a one step paint.You spray it once and be done with it.It's not quite as durable as base/ clear but it's a jeep not a show car.A gallon should do you good and still have some left over.Paint is more expensive by the qt.I just usually get a gallon.Check these guys out.You can't get your own color mixed but the savings you get gives you options. http://www.paintforcars.com/
Unread 01-21-2011, 11:20 AM   #3
shad366
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobukjeep View Post
Well if your on a budget forget basecoat/clear.Go to a one step paint.You spray it once and be done with it.It's not quite as durable as base/ clear but it's a jeep not a show car.A gallon should do you good and still have some left over.Paint is more expensive by the qt.I just usually get a gallon.Check these guys out.You can't get your own color mixed but the savings you get gives you options. http://www.paintforcars.com/
Well, I just priced everything... I will use OEM basecoat and clearcoat, and it should be around $345. Of course, I have to buy all the necessary materials and all, but it should be all good. Thanks for the help though!
Unread 01-23-2011, 09:40 PM   #4
aewalters
1987 XJ Cherokee 

paint, $300-400, high quality spray guns $800-1000(you need 3, one for primer, one for base and one for clear)...Total cost for a professional paint job $1200-1600..... Getting a high quality paint job is next to impossible to accomplish at your own home
aewalters is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.