How long did it take to paint frame - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > How long did it take to paint frame

Huge Soft top SaleNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 01-12-2011, 08:12 AM   #1
ApolloXIII
2000 TJ Wrangler 

How long did it take to paint frame

For anyone that has done this, How long did it take you to take apart your wrangler and paint the frame and underside of the tub?
I have a 2000 tj but any input from wrangler owners would be helpful.
I just got my tj and wanted to have an estimate for the time it will take to paint the bottom with POR 15 before starting.
Thanks guys.

ApolloXIII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2011, 02:57 PM   #2
ApolloXIII
2000 TJ Wrangler 

anyone?
Unread 01-18-2011, 10:05 PM   #3
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloXIII View Post
anyone?
You mean like lifting the tub off the frame? Wouldn't be necessary, can do it without removing anything. But if you have the time and don't need to drive it, go for it.
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2011, 07:19 AM   #4
ApolloXIII
2000 TJ Wrangler 

yes like lifting the tub off. I also planned to get the engine out. Just bare frame. I know you don't need to, but I have a month to do it, about 2 hours a day on weekdays and at least 1 full day on weekends. in a garage
Unread 01-19-2011, 12:34 PM   #5
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloXIII View Post
yes like lifting the tub off. I also planned to get the engine out. Just bare frame. I know you don't need to, but I have a month to do it, about 2 hours a day on weekdays and at least 1 full day on weekends. in a garage
Well, you need to remove both fenders, hood, and cowl. Then anything misc stuff on the underside, and shifter. Disconnect and pull out all the electrical that goes through the firewall and connects to the OBD port, disconnect steering wheel, any heater/ac hoses and vacuum lines that go through the firewall. Then loosen all the body mounts and lift off. I'm probably missing some stuff though. I'm sure you can find a thread outlining it.

Plus you have to remove all fuel, brake, and other thins on the frame.

It could end up being a VERY involved process.
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2011, 02:01 PM   #6
ApolloXIII
2000 TJ Wrangler 

would it make a difference in the quality of the paint job if i take everything apart or can I achieve the same thing with it mostly in tact?
Unread 01-19-2011, 07:48 PM   #7
newjeepguy1

i figure i have two hrs left in mine to finish the frame. i only have to fit the gas tank and a couple loose tranny mounts. i removed the whole body and left the motor, gas and brake lines, and the transfer case/tranny. everything else came off and was cleaned, stripped, sanblasted, reworked or anything else it needed. the frame was done with por15 and everything else painted. i figure im up to apx 160 hours. i havent even touched the tub yet. i thought things would go quicker but i have spent my spare time for the last month and a half working on it. my goal is to have it all finished and back together by march...we will see..lol
newjeepguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2011, 07:58 AM   #8
ApolloXIII
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newjeepguy1 View Post
i figure i have two hrs left in mine to finish the frame. i only have to fit the gas tank and a couple loose tranny mounts. i removed the whole body and left the motor, gas and brake lines, and the transfer case/tranny. everything else came off and was cleaned, stripped, sanblasted, reworked or anything else it needed. the frame was done with por15 and everything else painted. i figure im up to apx 160 hours. i havent even touched the tub yet. i thought things would go quicker but i have spent my spare time for the last month and a half working on it. my goal is to have it all finished and back together by march...we will see..lol
Thanks a lot, I'll heed your warning, I wont start it until I get back from college in the late spring. great help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.