How I am repairing floor pans - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > How I am repairing floor pans

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 04-20-2012, 12:09 PM   #1
MKfarm
2011 JK Wrangler 

How I am repairing floor pans

Probably the most common problem with older jeeps are the floor pans. I have a 98 TJ and it is time to repair the floor pans. You will find a lot of information on line when it comes to repairing floor pans.

The biggest difference is when it comes to attaching the repair metal. There are really three camps on this one. The first is welding, the second is pop rivet/screws and the third is adhesive. I can tell you most of the old school people will tell you it is a must no questions asked welding job. However this really isn't the case when it comes to a jeep wrangler. Since it has a box frame you do not have to weld as you should in a uni-body frame.

Like I said there are many thoughts when it comes to welding and those that weld have strong opinions. So while it is a good option it is not the only one.

I have decided to use a Sem metal adhesive. My floor is not all that bad and it is the right choice for me to make this repair. I suggest you do your own research and come up with the method that you feel is right for your job.

I have attached a few photos that document the beginning of the process. As you can see the floor is not that bad, I have seen far worse than this one. I have cut the floor pan to get rid of the thin metal and then painted the channel under the floor with Sem Rust shield.

The biggest issue I have is a rust hole in this channel near the body mount. The good news is while it looks bad the body mount is secure and strong. I will have to figure out a plan to patch this hole to keep the area from rotting and to keep excess water out of the channel.

I figure since strength is not really needed I have a few options with welding a patch as #1 or even pop rivet a patch. The goal will be like I said to limited additional rusting and damage.

I am taking my time so this is just an overview of the damage and just the start of my prep work.

I should say the goal with the floor is to make it safe and to last at least 5 years. I am not concerned with making it look new or original. Why 5 years? Thais is how long I intend to keep this jeep. I am not concerned with the resale value since it will then be almost 20 years old and will probably come off the road and become a farm vehicle.

jeepr1.jpg   jeepr2.jpg   jeepr3.jpg  
MKfarm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2012, 07:35 PM   #2
MKfarm
2011 JK Wrangler 

I decided to patch the hole near the body mount in two ways. I used a fiberglass patch on the inside to help form a water proof seal. Later I will put a metal patch on the outside.

I used a full replacement floor pan for the repair. I did have to do a little trimming to get it to fit right. Prior to putting it in place I used the adhesive and metal to make patches for the old drain holes.

Then I took my grinder and went down to bare metal for the places I was going to use the adhesive. The two part adhesive is easy to work with and has a set time of 60 mins so it gives you some time to work with the floor pan.

I did use a few pop rivets to tighten the outer perimeter. Then I used some screws to bring the older floor pan up tight with the new floor pan. This really worked well spreading the adhesive for a good seal.

I went under the floor pan and then used the adhesive to spread along the seams for the old and new floor pan.

It was really easy and fast to put in the new floor pan. I put some weight on the floor pan and will wait until tomorrow to wrap it up. I will load some photos to show the floor pan in place.

The prep work took about an hour, placing the pan was less than 15 mins.

There is no doubt that the replacement will out last the life of the TJ. I will be coating the bottom with Sem Rust Shield once I'm done.
Unread 04-21-2012, 09:08 AM   #3
MKfarm
2011 JK Wrangler 

So how well does the adhesive work? You can not lift the floor pan period. We even put a jack under the floor pan and the entire jeep body lifted with no separation of the floor pan. That is what I call a good bond.

As you can see from the photo it is a good fit and yes if you wanted to you could still weld it later. But I'm happy with the results so no welding for me.

The floor pan is the heavy gauge metal pan that I bought from Quadratec.

I will add some automotive sealer around the edges then paint the entire floor with Sem Auto Shield.
jeepr4.jpg  
Unread 09-23-2013, 12:28 PM   #4
Alheim
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Reviving this thread.

Great writeup. Adhesive is the way to go for floor pan repairs. As you said, why weld? It's not a structural area. And your adhesives were strong enough to lift the car.

Again, great work. I plan to do the same in the near future.
Alheim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 07:43 PM   #5
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ive used the 3M 8115 with excellent results. The gun is not cheap-60 bucks and the adhesive is about 30-35 per tube. No welding,no warpage and rust retardant.

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2014, 08:01 AM   #6
flyguy017

Hi MKFarm, nice job and nice report. Curious as to how they are still holding up. So am I correct that you used a different adhesive than the 3M one? Where did you find the Sim adhesive?
Where you happy with the fit of the Quadratrac floor pans?
Thanks
flyguy017 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2014, 10:06 AM   #7
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Good people to deal with
http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/sear...keywords=panel adhesive

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2014, 03:57 PM   #8
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

The factory has been gluing quarter panels on for years now. It is used in the aircraft industry as well. If prepped right this stuff is harder to remove than spot welds.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.