How to get flaking paint off powder coat? (Bumper) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > How to get flaking paint off powder coat? (Bumper)

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 04-20-2014, 08:59 PM   #1
katuah
1998 XJ Cherokee 

How to get flaking paint off powder coat? (Bumper)

Hey this may be a n00b type question but you gotta learn somehow.

I bought a used bumper and as I'm cleaning it I realize that not only is there about 3 layers of paint on it, at least one of the previous painters did not clean the thing before he sprayed it. Ungh. Now the paint and greasy dirt is flaking off, down to the original powder coating in many places.

I just spent the afternoon scraping the bigger flaking areas with a plastic putty knife and it now looks kind of.... mangy. So here's my question: What kind of tool can I use to get the rest of the old paint off, but not rip up the powder coating underneath? The putty knife just isn't doing it, and I don't want to take a wire wheel to it cos that will just shred the powdercoat too. Is there something else like that, that is gentler but still has some scouring power?

katuah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2014, 01:28 AM   #2
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2011 JK Wrangler 

Careful sanding or just strip the whole thing down to bare metal and prime it which is probably less work and much faster than the former option.
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2014, 10:36 AM   #3
katuah
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Not too worried about "less work and much faster." In my experience, factory powder coating is usually really durable, much moreso than I can get with rattle cans. I'd like to retain the powder coating if at all possible.

I may see if a polisher wheel would work.
katuah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2014, 10:51 AM   #4
TennesseeYJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Assuming you are trying to leave the powder coating for metal protection? If so, depending on how cheap the rattle can paint is, easy off oven cleaner will remove some cheap spray paints. Next step up will be acetone. These will fade the surface of the powder, but shouldn't remove it (depending on what type of powder was used). If you get to the point you don't care about the Powder coat staying on use Permatex Gasket Remover. That stuff will roll powder and all off! There is one exception, I was prepping for powder a Ford FI intake one time. I don't know what that paint was but nothing short of a grinding pad was taking that stuff off!! LOL
TennesseeYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2014, 11:00 AM   #5
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeYJ View Post
Assuming you are trying to leave the powder coating for metal protection? If so, depending on how cheap the rattle can paint is, easy off oven cleaner will remove some cheap spray paints. Next step up will be acetone. These will fade the surface of the powder, but shouldn't remove it (depending on what type of powder was used). If you get to the point you don't care about the Powder coat staying on use Permatex Gasket Remover. That stuff will roll powder and all off! There is one exception, I was prepping for powder a Ford FI intake one time. I don't know what that paint was but nothing short of a grinding pad was taking that stuff off!! LOL
If you are going to strip the paint totaly,next time try the aircraft paint stripper..its made to do what you want when stripping paint,its a paint stripper...............

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2014, 11:17 AM   #6
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2011 JK Wrangler 

If it's very low end spray paint even mineral spirits may soften it without damaging the powder coat
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2014, 11:23 PM   #7
swirve
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Try "Peeler" its a stripper designed to remove de- lam clear and leave the E-coat/ under coat. Acetone is another option.
swirve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2014, 11:00 PM   #8
TennesseeYJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker709 View Post
If you are going to strip the paint totaly,next time try the aircraft paint stripper..its made to do what you want when stripping paint,its a paint stripper...............
Normally I would agree with you. I've used "Aircraft Stripper" several times on "wet" paints with many times success. Some powders it works on. I have run across many powders, if cured right, Aircraft stripper just dulls the finish. I've left parts coated and even submerged, just dulled the finish ... good powder coat is tough stuff!!

Been shooting my own powders for many years and I have had to strip other bad paint jobs or occasionally I get a bad part due to outgassing or faraday causing thin spots. A few years ago I finally made enough money to upgrade my powder coating gun to a 100K volt unit (adjustable) and adjustable pressure (powder flow). A lot less stripping of part parts every since!
TennesseeYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2014, 11:08 PM   #9
lobukjeep
1989 YJ Wrangler 

pressure washer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.