How do i repair rust spots/holes? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > How do i repair rust spots/holes?

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 09-03-2012, 11:29 AM   #1
bligon64

1974 CJ5 

How do i repair rust spots/holes?

For some strange reason my 74 has a few rust spots or more accurately holes. I have never done any sort of body repair. My question is what is the best way to go about repairing these spots. I think some of these can just be repaired with body filler, but again i am not sure.

bligon64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2012, 11:31 AM   #2
bligon64

1974 CJ5 

The smaller rust holes in the body
wp_000208.jpg   wp_000210.jpg   wp_000211.jpg  
bligon64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2012, 01:00 PM   #3
Mishimoto

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but I wouldn't use body filler to help with rust holes. It will come back quick to bite you and be even worse. I would look at cutting out the bad and welding in good metal.
Mishimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2012, 12:58 PM   #4
JeepComanche89
1989 MJ Comanche 

Yes the only way to truly fix it is to cut out the rot and weld new metal in. Then some light filler goes on top of that. If you do decide to weld it make sure that there are no holes at all. To truely seal it put a seam sealer on the other side if you can. Then undercoat that same side.
JeepComanche89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2012, 09:35 PM   #5
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

That rust formed between two layers of metal,where water got trapped. Ideally, you'd have to cut out a large enough rectangle out of the outer skin, to allow you to fix the rust on the inner piece,too. Then, finish repairing the outer skin.

Proper auto body repair is not the faint of heart...there's metal cutting, grinding, welding ( or riveting) involved. There are no long lasting shortcuts. Then, there's the painting aspect, too.

I'm not trying to discourage, just pointing out the reality of it.

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
holes , rust , rust repair

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.