-   Paint and Body (
-   -   How do i repair rust spots/holes? (

bligon64 09-03-2012 12:29 PM

How do i repair rust spots/holes?
For some strange reason my 74 has a few rust spots or more accurately holes. I have never done any sort of body repair. My question is what is the best way to go about repairing these spots. I think some of these can just be repaired with body filler, but again i am not sure.

bligon64 09-03-2012 12:31 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The smaller rust holes in the body

Mishimoto 09-04-2012 02:00 PM

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but I wouldn't use body filler to help with rust holes. It will come back quick to bite you and be even worse. I would look at cutting out the bad and welding in good metal.

JeepComanche89 09-14-2012 01:58 PM

Yes the only way to truly fix it is to cut out the rot and weld new metal in. Then some light filler goes on top of that. If you do decide to weld it make sure that there are no holes at all. To truely seal it put a seam sealer on the other side if you can. Then undercoat that same side.

rixcj 09-16-2012 10:35 PM

That rust formed between two layers of metal,where water got trapped. Ideally, you'd have to cut out a large enough rectangle out of the outer skin, to allow you to fix the rust on the inner piece,too. Then, finish repairing the outer skin.

Proper auto body repair is not the faint of heart...there's metal cutting, grinding, welding ( or riveting) involved. There are no long lasting shortcuts. Then, there's the painting aspect, too.

I'm not trying to discourage, just pointing out the reality of it.


The time now is 01:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.