Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

How do I fix this "ding"?

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  2000wreckedwj 
#1 ·
Basically I would like to know how I should go about fixing this ding. What happened was, last time I was out in the sand I was pulling out a friend in a tundra and the snatch strap broke and whipped my back end, dinging my rear/trunk door so bad that the door won't open.
I just need some ideas as I'm new to body work, as to how to fix it cheaply! :D

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
To be honest mate, out here I would probably have as much of a clue as the body shops. Most mechanics here have no qualifications and mostly knwo what you tell them when you send things in. Unless it's the stealership, then they are "all knowing" of course!!!
If you arent concerned with it looking good and just want function pull your interior panel and pop it out with whatever you can stick in there and make sure your latch linkage is straight and connected correctly. If you want it to look good get a new tailgate and paint it to match. Looks like the cost of repair would exceed the cost to replace!
Not to concerned with it looking good, just functioning. It is a desert beater anyway so it rarely sees daily use. I was thinking to pull it out with something or other but couldn't think what, but I guess jumping inside and getting to it through the plastic isn't a bad idea too. I may just wait though as it's an average 45*C here at present!
Thanks

#3 ·
If you arent concerned with it looking good and just want function pull your interior panel and pop it out with whatever you can stick in there and make sure your latch linkage is straight and connected correctly. If you want it to look good get a new tailgate and paint it to match. Looks like the cost of repair would exceed the cost to replace!

#6 ·
I was thinking of doing something like that but with bolts and a small square plate then filling the holes with some kind of filler and repainting. I will see what I can conjure up after my vacation next week! :D

#8 ·
There is only one local dealership and they are useless, but I will ask them. What exactly is a paintless dent repair? I may have to explain it to them as I live in the Middle East and most techs are Philippino and the sales guys are indian or Pakistani, so it may have a different term out here.

Thanks jj

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.