Hot rod black questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Hot rod black questions

Only 2 Days left to win $3,800 Jeep Parts!Count Down to KOH Sale!Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-21-2015, 06:11 PM   #1
JohnnyFab

Hot rod black questions

I have a couple questions and haven't been able to locate the exact answers I am looking for. I am tossing around the idea of using a hot rod black "kit" to paint my jeep. My jeep is already black, but gloss and I have two specific questions.

1. How hot does a satin finish get to the touch vs. gloss black? This is important to me, since I'm in AZ.

2. How bad does satin show dirt compared to gloss and how easy is it to clean?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

JohnnyFab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2015, 07:42 AM   #2
1320yj

What the custom shops do with flat black is to use a standard black basecoat and then apply a flat or satin finish clear coat.
As far as heat goes the gloss may be a little bit cooler because of the reflective properties of the shiny clear but probably not as much that you would notice.
Black shows every spec of dirt gloss or flat.
Unread 01-22-2015, 10:55 AM   #3
swirve
2000 TJ Wrangler 

There are several different options as far as a flat or satin finish. You can use a single stage such as Hot Rod Flatz, you can have urethane flattened to a satin, flat finish or you can go the base/ clear route.

image-1606989803.jpg

This is base/clear. I chose this route because of the pearl/ metallic base and stripes.

image-1772997235.jpg

This is a fairly cheap single stage urethane that i had flattened to a satin. Its holding up very well.
swirve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2015, 12:42 PM   #4
JohnnyFab

Yeah, I am planning on using a single stage hot rod black kit from sem.
Unread 01-22-2015, 01:12 PM   #5
swirve
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFab
Yeah, I am planning on using a single stage hot rod black kit from sem.
Overlap and wetness is crucial so you dont end up with parts that have different sheen. You must get the same amount of material on each panel
Unread 01-22-2015, 02:28 PM   #6
1320yj

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirve View Post
Overlap and wetness is crucial so you dont end up with parts that have different sheen. You must get the same amount of material on each panel
Its a heck of a lot harder to make a whole vehicle dull than it to make it all shiny . Raising the pressure , opening the fan and keeping your distance will help.
Unread 01-22-2015, 02:44 PM   #7
JohnnyFab

Quote:
Got it, thanks for the pointers.
Unread 01-22-2015, 05:24 PM   #8
swirve
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320yj
Its a heck of a lot harder to make a whole vehicle dull than it to make it all shiny . Raising the pressure , opening the fan and keeping your distance will help.
Raising pressure and opening the fan will only cause a split pattern. Overlap and wetness are the key factors on a satin job
Unread 01-22-2015, 10:01 PM   #9
1320yj

Quote:
Raising pressure and opening the fan will only cause a split pattern. Overlap and wetness are the key factors on a satin job
You just don't open up the fan that much and just a few pounds and more fluid flow keeps it wet and from striping. All of that of course depends on temp , humidity, and the speed of the thinner.
Unread 01-23-2015, 01:41 AM   #10
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2011 JK Wrangler 

Also, the flatter you go, the more tendency the surface will have to show scuffs and mar lines when a hard object gets dragged across the surface.
I've never compared high quality clears to off brands so I can't say this is true with all products. Since the intro of low sheen clears to the market many products now incorporate some wax based flatting agents in addition to silicas which are the traditional flatting agents used. The waxes actually help with mar resistance.
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.