Hood Stucked closed, HELP!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Hood Stucked closed, HELP!!

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 07-17-2013, 02:43 PM   #1
hjrivera
2002 KJ Liberty 

Hood Stucked closed, HELP!!

Hi, I have a 1990 Comanche and I'm needing to replace the battery, but the hood is stucked and can't open it. The hood cable was replaced two years ago, and it is still connected to the hood mechanism. I think the problem is that the hood locks are freezed or something, because the cable can't do its job opening the hood! Are someone in this forum that have a solution for a stucked hood?? I can't recharge or replace the engine battery with this problem, and the battery charge was depleted...

I like my MJ very much, but can't start its engine or use it if the hood don't open. I need your help, PLEASE!!!

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

image-2034085558.jpg

2008 Dodge Charger R/T Road & Track Edition
hjrivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2013, 08:55 PM   #2
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

There's two ways to do it, assuming it's the same as on a Cherokee.

1. Lay down under the MJ from the front, look between the motor and the radiator and in between the efan and electric fan you can reach up and you can pull straight down on the bar that connects the latches and it should release. You may need pliers to reach it if you're not tall.

2. Remove your headlight bezels and then remove the headlights and finally the buckets. There is a visible bolt behind the bucket. Remove that. There's a second bolt of the same size right above it that you can't see but you can feel it if you reach in there. Remove it as well. Iirc both are 13mm and when removed they unbolt the pieces that the latches catch on.

The first method is easier but it doesn't always work if the latching mechanisms are seized. It's more likely than anything that the cable simply needs to be replaced, it's common for them to wear out over time. Replacements are ~$40, easy and quick to replace. If the mechanisms under the hood are the issue then I have no idea how to replace them other than replacing the hood. I've never seen anywhere that sells those parts. Mines been screwed up on the hood side since I've owned it and I've just crawled under to release the hood. I really need to convert to hood pins and stop being lazy. Climbing under every time is annoying but doable, but it's always in the back of my mind that I won't be able to pop the hood and put out a fire should one ever occur under there.

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2014, 08:01 PM   #3
hjrivera
2002 KJ Liberty 

Hi Motorcharge, Yesterday I finally took the time to open the hood of my MJ!! I used the second way to do it, because the latch mechanism is seized with rust (so rusty that I need to replace it!). Today I bought a new battery and tomorrow I'll be firing the engine after months. I'll keep you posted of the results...
2008 Dodge Charger R/T Road & Track Edition
hjrivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2014, 09:03 PM   #4
daven75

This happened to my friend, we did #2. Worked perfect. Instead of replacing it, check out hood pins. Just an idea, thats the way we went. easier and cheaper.
daven75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2014, 09:17 AM   #5
1320yj

I had the same problem a few years ago and used Method #2 also, I replaced my complete hood assembly with one from an XJ they are identical.
1320yj is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.