Herculiner on plastic side skirt - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Herculiner on plastic side skirt

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 05-16-2010, 12:54 PM   #1
garrardao

Herculiner on plastic side skirt

Hi i've got a 2000 grand cherokee laredo and my side skirts are faded. I've used mother's back to black and it looks really good when its applied but the problem is that it fades really fast! So i've been thinking about using rhino liner or herculiner on the side skirts for a more permanent fix. But i've never used it before and im not sure if it will stick to plastic and if i would need to sand the side skirts so it will stick better. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

garrardao is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2010, 04:42 AM   #2
CopperCJ7
1984 CJ7 

I would suggest using Durabak instead. That stuff is made for exterior applications and has UV built right in. Herculiner will fade to gray also unless you mix in their UV coating. I'm fairly sure that if you scuff up the plastic and prime it, it'll stick to it. I would confirm that with the product's manufacturer before you buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
What CJ owner doesn't want to hack up his harness for the next owner to have fun with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph View Post
The thread will derail quicker than a walrus on a Crisco-soaked Slip 'n' Slide.
CopperCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2010, 10:52 AM   #3
garrardao

Cool yeah i'll definitely look into that and check with them to make sure that it will work. I've never seen it in stores though, where can i get some Durabak? Do you have any recommendations for the primer that i should use or does it really not matter which one?
Unread 05-17-2010, 07:25 PM   #4
CopperCJ7
1984 CJ7 

Here's a link to page one of TWO pages of links about coatings

http://www.jeepriver.com/links/index...09030217401482

Good luck

Quote:
What CJ owner doesn't want to hack up his harness for the next owner to have fun with?
Quote:
Unread 05-17-2010, 07:36 PM   #5
jeep4alex
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I use boiled linseed oil from home depot on my LJ factory fender flares.
On wipe on treatment is good for several months. Brings the look back to new!
Only drawback is the odor is strong for 24 hrs.
jeep4alex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2010, 09:12 PM   #6
footinmouth47
1998 ZJ 

for most grand owners myself included krylon fusion is the best product to get your cladding black and have it stay that way. it is also smooth unlike bed liner and really easy to use very little prep needed. I did mine over 3 years ago and it still looks great only a few light spots where car doors and branches have really hit hard. I have seen that it now comes in a wide verity of colors even hammered finish. here is a pic at about 2 yearsafter paint, I used black Im sure you can find lots of threads if you do a search for it.

Greg

Built not Bought member #247

SOLD:( new DD- 04 polaris sportsman
footinmouth47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2010, 09:43 PM   #7
CopperCJ7
1984 CJ7 

Some companies make bed liner or coatings that are fairly smooth and some that are rough - some make both.

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 05-17-2010, 11:29 PM   #8
garrardao

You guys are seriously awesome! Thank you so much for all of your help! I'll definitely check out those websites and look into the krylon paint too. I'm still going back and forth on what i will end up doing but i should be getting it done pretty soon and i will put up pictures to show you all how it turned out!

Tags
herculiner , paint , side skirt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.