Help paint tire carrier - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Help paint tire carrier

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 05-16-2013, 12:47 PM   #1
achilless
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Help paint tire carrier

Hey ya'll. I have a rear bumper/tire carrier coming from TheDirtWorx in a couple days. I have never painted metal before but am going to give it a try. From what I gathered reading in these threads so far I should clean the metal with aceylotone or brake cleaner, prime, paint. Sandpaper? I think I want it to have a rough texture to it, I was thinking pay to get powder coated but I am cheap.

Couple of questions:
1. What primer, paint, sandpaper should I use. (It is coming bare metal)

2. What about the "hinge" that tire swings on, do I just paint right over that? No taping off required?

3. I am doing this in garage, should I lay it on floor, do a side, flip. Or somehow hang it from ceiling...

Give me all the suggestions and techniques you professionals can offer me!

Thanks in advanced. I will post in a week or 2 when it's all finished and you can critique me lol

2002 TJ Sahara: 4" Zone/ 1.25" BDS body lift. 35" Km2's, Dana 44-LSD, Dana 30-Lokka Locker, JKS 1" motor mount lift, TheDirtWorx bumper/carrier, Smittybilt XRC 8000 Winch, D rings front + rear, Hi-lift
achilless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2013, 01:20 PM   #2
achilless
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Bump
2002 TJ Sahara: 4" Zone/ 1.25" BDS body lift. 35" Km2's, Dana 44-LSD, Dana 30-Lokka Locker, JKS 1" motor mount lift, TheDirtWorx bumper/carrier, Smittybilt XRC 8000 Winch, D rings front + rear, Hi-lift
achilless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2013, 01:22 PM   #3
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Sandblast to strip right down, prime and paint.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2013, 02:23 PM   #4
Cobra21
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I can't help you with the rough texture but for my tire carrier in my YJ I just took off the 5 bolts, scuffed it up with some 120 grit sandpaper to get off the old paint. Then I hung it on a tree and painted it with semi gloss rustoleum spray paint. Did like 3 even thin coats and bam I was done. But if you get to close to the metal while your painting it starts to get all runny and then your gonna have to re-sand that side when t dries. Hope this helped you out.
Cobra21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.