Has anyone painted there fender flares? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Has anyone painted there fender flares?

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-05-2010, 03:30 PM   #1
HighRoller02TJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Has anyone painted there fender flares?

like many jeeps mine are faded, thinking of painting them. anyone paint there own? what process? hows it holding up? thanks

HighRoller02TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2010, 06:54 PM   #2
Camio
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Just painted mine yesterday. Sanded them down a bit to smooth out the scratches, washed them, then hit em with a few coats of black Krylon indoor/outdoor spray paint. It looks really good, you can't even tell they've been painted.

The worst part is removing/replacing the fenders. There are a lot of bolts in awkward angles, and it takes a while to get them all off.
Unread 04-09-2010, 05:01 PM   #3
JeepJeep01
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks, I had the same question and I will try the Krylon, any idea how well the painted plastic holds up ?
JeepJeep01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2010, 02:26 PM   #4
MY99XJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

used the krylon a year or two ago. it has held up GREAT!.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/college-budget-build-1014756/
MY99XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2010, 02:09 PM   #5
JeepJeep01
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks, bought Krylon yesterday, will start the prep work on hard top and flares soon.
JeepJeep01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2010, 07:56 PM   #6
officer_krupt
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I painted mine with some flat black ............taped them off instead of removing them......tried several products......mothers back to black.....a few others that claim they would restore black color to plastics and vinyl...........none worked as welll as the flat black spray paint..,...mine look like new now
officer_krupt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2010, 08:35 AM   #7
jbeebe
1991 YJ Wrangler 

flat black rustoleum, doing great.
jbeebe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2010, 09:11 PM   #8
Anastasis
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yea, Id suggest against removing them. A lot of people end up breaking the things that hold them on. Also, use Krylon Fusion. Its a special paint designed specifically for plastic, so you dont need to prep them, just wash em and spray.
Anastasis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2010, 05:07 AM   #9
Bmel17
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anastasis View Post
Yea, Id suggest against removing them. A lot of people end up breaking the things that hold them on. Also, use Krylon Fusion. Its a special paint designed specifically for plastic, so you dont need to prep them, just wash em and spray.
thats horrible advice. whatever you paint, always prep. "special" paint or not, paint bonds to clean surfaces. if dirt and residue are there it can peel or cause imperfections.

I just did my front end flares last night. Cleaned with degreaser, lightly sanded, cleaned again, then wiped down with paint thinner (2x) to remove anything else. Came out fantastic. Will post pics soon
Bmel17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2011, 09:32 PM   #10
CRunning1
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Did You Paint your Stock Flares or were they After market. I have a Cherokee and the Flares match the body work and I was considering painting them. However I wasn't sure if you were painting like plastic or fiberglass body work?
CRunning1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.