Hard Top - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Hard Top

CCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSteinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 10-25-2012, 09:03 PM   #1
mudcrazy661
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Hard Top

I purchased a hard top off a fella and he had put that like spray on bedliner stuff and i personally dont care for it at all. Can i sand the Hardtop? Will a gravity fed spray gun do a okay job?

mudcrazy661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2012, 09:05 PM   #2
wwch99tj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I don't know how well the bedliner will sand, but yes a gravity fed gun will give you decent results. I actually did a rustoleum rolled on paint job on my top last year

I used gloss black because my jeep is black

wwch99tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2012, 09:12 PM   #3
mudcrazy661
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Wow that looks great I plan to sand it down, and either do it with a gun or roll on.
mudcrazy661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2012, 07:02 AM   #4
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

More info on the paint and roller used to get such great results. Spray bombing it isn't working out too great for me.....
Unread 10-26-2012, 09:40 AM   #5
wwch99tj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROJECT 23
More info on the paint and roller used to get such great results. Spray bombing it isn't working out too great for me.....
I first sanded the top completely smooth.
I used rustoleum (gloss quart) mixed 50/50 with mineral spirits. (you could probably makes it a little thicker like 70/30 I thought it was a little thin) then I used a 3 inch or 4 inch foam roller and foam brushes to cut in. I rolled 4-5 coats on.
Then I let it dry for about a week and then I wet sanded it with 2000 grit paper and polished.

http://m.instructables.com/id/The-Po...-paint-your-c/
wwch99tj is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.