Glued Floors & Monstaliner? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Glued Floors & Monstaliner?

Advance Adapters SYE KitsFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 04-12-2013, 07:30 AM   #1
dconley9
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Glued Floors & Monstaliner?

Any one have any pics of how this would look? Or pics of glued floor pans that have been painted over with anything? Just picked up a 97 TJ SE with rusty floors and welding isn't really an option but I'd like to monstaline the floors after the repair if it wont look to bad.

dconley9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2013, 08:43 AM   #2
XTRyan
ExtremeTerrain.com

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dconley9 View Post
Any one have any pics of how this would look? Or pics of glued floor pans that have been painted over with anything? Just picked up a 97 TJ SE with rusty floors and welding isn't really an option but I'd like to monstaline the floors after the repair if it wont look to bad.
I have seen the replacement panels put in with the body glue. (3M Type) I worked in a body shop and we did this almost daily.

You can cut them down and use a body hammer to make them have a nice beveled edge. This will give the glue a place to sit in and bond to the panels. After that I would get them as close as possible to level, then I'd hit it with the truck bed liner. You can even use some Bondo to get it 100% level and get rid of the lip between the two panels. Then primer and paint over it.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions.

-Zach
EARN UP TO $200 TOWARD YOUR NEXT PURCHASE!
PM me for our JeepForum Discount Code (must have 25 posts) or Price-Matching!
GET YOUR FREE JEEP PARTS CATALOG!
XTRyan is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2013, 11:03 AM   #3
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

You can do it with no visible seam with a little extra work.........

Cut your replacement panels to fit just like as if you were going butt weld them in...

Use some same thckness or thicker sheetmetal to cut a 1" or wider strip from...

Bend and cut and finess that strip to fit aound the outside(underneath) the floorboard where the patch is going...this will be used as sort of a backing strip underneath where it won't be visible....

get some small tek screws,you are supposed to use them for any panel adhesive repairs anyhow...screw that strip to the underside of the edge of the repair area so your panel will sit on top of that..then screw your panel down onto that...this is just the mock up stage to make sure you have everything trimmed and placed right...
Then take all the screws out when you are happy with the fitment...
Put the panel adhesive on the strip and replacement panel and patch area of the floorbourd..then screw it all back in..remember this..very important..the panel avhesive is required to have a very small gap,which means not tight metal against metal..about a 32nd gap in between the sheetmetal or it won't adhere right.......

Once it is all screwed and glued in right,clean and smear any access on the floorboard to make everything smooth and seamless..let sit for 24 hours or more.....

Then take all the screws out and use a seam sealer to seal the holes and use the seam sealer underneath all around and on the metal strip to seal out moisture from behind it....

Both the Panel adhesive and the seam sealer are paintable....

Being a career fabricator/weldor myself and any other weldor i know was all really skepticle about these new panel adhesives and the strength of them...but in due time we have all come to realize that it has proven itself as being VERY strong.....

Myself and a buddy di this same exact repair on a 86 bronco used for mud racing only and it has held up to the abuse of it so far with no failure or problems...i'm convinced it does work but you have to do it exactly as the direction say to make it last...something about if you make the seam too tight it doesn't bond correctly...

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2013, 11:11 AM   #4
dconley9
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the tips . I will probably be doing the extra work to make it look flush as the seem is what I was concerned with and it will be worth the extra work for it to look clean since it will be exposed.
dconley9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2013, 11:00 PM   #5
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2011 JK Wrangler 

Ironworker709 that was awesome
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.