glass tub or steel? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > glass tub or steel?

December Specials at Jeephut.comROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 10-09-2009, 09:38 PM   #1
tbramich

glass tub or steel?

so what do you think has a better resale value? the jeep in question has a metal tub currently but i was debating on making it a fiberglass tub and building it up more towards crawler than mud.
i figure since its going to be modded so much that the tub wont really matter is that correct in thinking? or would it have more value for resale if i leave it original? im not planning top sell anytime soon (havent even bought it yet) just curious as at some point im sure it will be up for sale
thanks
tom

tbramich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2009, 01:46 AM   #2
HokieYJ
1993 XJ Cherokee 

You can always bend metal back into place after bashing on rocks. Fiberglass just shatters/falls apart. Plus, the glass tubs are EXPENSIVE!!!
HokieYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2009, 12:04 AM   #3
babytank31
1978 CJ5 

I have a fiberglass body on a '78 cj 5 and there is no way I would do any rock crawling in it for a couple of reasons. One it would crack and splinter with the slightest impact and two there just are not any rocks in eastern NC to crawl over. I rebuilt or replaced every component except chassis and drive line castings on my jeep. I also reasembled with all stainless nuts bolts and washers etc. except where grade rated hardware was needed. I have a lot of pride in it and think it is a serious off road vehicle, but the bottom line it is still a '78 cj 5 and that is how the general public will approach it. This brings me to your question of resale value. If you can get two thirds of what you invest back I would say you did ok. Dont get me wrong, in no way does loosing money apeal to me, but chances are you are not going to recover about one third of your investment. I am sure someone will call B.S. on me, but I can say that I have had and sold three prior to this one and that has been my return. Or should I say what was not returned? Although you may come across the one in several thousand hard core four wheelers with cash burning up his pocket and turn a profit, I hope you do, but I would not bank on it.
babytank31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2009, 09:51 AM   #4
cj777
1977 CJ7 

My last CJ-7 was fiberglass, and I hated it. That was acutally the reason I got rid of it; it sucked to have to worry about smashing fiberglass offroad. Stick with a metal tub for a crawler

'74 CJ5
'81 CJ7
'03 TJ
cj777 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.