Getting rid of the chrome - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Getting rid of the chrome

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 10-21-2012, 01:23 PM   #1
buildin1XJ
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Getting rid of the chrome

This is my first post on the paint and body.My ? is I have a 91 Patriot Xj model the paint is very faded and no clear coat left and I want to get rid of all the chrome on the door handles,windshield trim,grill and mirrors before I camo the jeep. Has anyone ever tried a heat gun to pop it off or is there a easier solution.I really do not want to have to replace all of it with black to save the expence and labor of this project.Any help would be appreciated Thanks Mike.

buildin1XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2012, 04:40 PM   #2
88yjBurns

Worked in a body shop for 5 years should be able to sand em down with some fine tape then seal primer and then paint with base and clearcoat
88yjBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2012, 05:13 PM   #3
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Or sand blast. 88yjburns is also correct. You need to give the new paint something to stick to.

Ron

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2012, 06:11 PM   #4
88yjBurns

Sandblast would be easier if you have one but youll forsure have to primer base and clear or just primer then spray paint
88yjBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2012, 09:37 AM   #5
buildin1XJ
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds like sanding is my only option then,I wonder if I'll find black plastic under the chrome if so I may just leave them black.I was really hoping for a easier removal method paint strippers etc but am afraid that might eat the plactic.I dont mind them being black but chrome amd a camo paint job would look pretty crapy.Thanks for your input guys
buildin1XJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.