Frame Crack - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Frame Crack

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-29-2013, 02:40 PM   #1
dlutz94
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Frame Crack

Hey guys, Happy Friday. Anyway on my 95 YJ i am starting to find frame cracks. I was thinking about just welding metal to and around it. I do not know if that is a good idea or not. Or if there are better ideas. Any ideas or suggestions would really help me out.

dlutz94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2013, 08:34 PM   #2
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlutz94 View Post
Hey guys, Happy Friday. Anyway on my 95 YJ i am starting to find frame cracks. I was thinking about just welding metal to and around it. I do not know if that is a good idea or not. Or if there are better ideas. Any ideas or suggestions would really help me out.
Those frame cracks might be appearing because the frame is thinned out from internal rust. I would eliminate that possibility first.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2013, 09:33 PM   #3
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlutz94 View Post
Grind the crack a bit to create a groove so you can get good penetration. You will need access to both sides of the crack to weld it completely.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2013, 11:21 PM   #4
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

You first need to rule out major rust problems, since no repair will last if you don't have solid metal to weld to as laybackman stated. Once you have ruled this out how many cracks are there? If it is just 1 or 2 you can repair them, but if you have several cracks, especially if they are different areas of the frame you could have serious metal fatigue problems and you would likely constantly repairing cracks. If you either have bad rust or lots of cracks the best option is to replace the frame if you plan on keeping the Jeep or sell/replace the Jeep. If you only have 1 or 2 cracks and no major rust issues drill holes at either end of the crack to prevent spreading, grind the crack as thantos858 stated, weld it, then weld on gussets (plates) to strengthen the area.
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2013, 06:08 PM   #5
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

On my old CJ2A I had a bad crack that we did the above to and in addition we "fish plated" the outside - that is a flat plat with some 1/2" holes drilled through it - that we welded and plug welded on...never had another problem.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2013, 06:12 PM   #6
dlutz94
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I think i am going to do a combination of every bodies idea, just so i am thorough with it. Thanks guys
dlutz94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.