Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Floor pan replacement info....?

8K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  MassRedneck 
#1 ·
Once the weather gets better, I will be replacing the driver's side floor in my CJ

I have bookmarked and have been referring to Jagerlager's Tub Fixin' thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/tub-fixin-pics-518603/

As good (and inspiring) as this writeup is, it doesn't show the detail I need to figure out how to proceed.

Can someone post up some links to detailed info, either on this forum or elsewhere, on how to go about this?

#2 ·
Google Jeep Floor Repair and Jeep Floor Replacement.

Decide if you want just a patch panel, or if you want a complete front section with the transmission hump. The cheapest repair panels are made from the thinest sheet metal and are often poorly stamped. Properly shaped panels are easier to work with and easier to weld.

Decide if you are going to weld, use sheet metal screws, or specialized auto body adhesive for the patch. Remove the rusty areas, leaving the proper amount of overlap for your attachment method. Automotive seam sealer will help blend in the repair and to seal out moisture.

Pictures of your Jeep, clearly showing the areas needing repair should get you more specific replies.

#3 ·
The drivers side floor is pretty much the only bad area on the jeep (save a 4 sq in section below the drivers side tail light), so I don't think I want to do the whole floor.

Although panel adhesive would certainly be easier, I am intending to weld in a good replacement panel. Like Jagerlager, I will be teaching myself along the way.

I was looking at the panels sold by Quadratec.

Here are some pics I took with my phone this morning before work. They aren't great but I think show what I have. The front of the vehicle is toward the top of the photos. One of my biggest concerns is where the floor meets the side panel....

#4 · (Edited)
Quadratec buys and re-sells parts, you can often find the same parts at a cheaper price directly from the manufacturer or supplier.

I used the Quadratec type $34.99 P/N 22507.01 floor pans on my CJ. They are 22 gauge steel and needed some hammering to fit properly. Welding was difficult due to the thinness of the repair panel. I would find a better repair part than these.

The $64.99 P/N 22507.0001 are thicker 18 gauge steel and cover more area. The thicker metal will provide a longer lasting repair and will be easier to weld.

You will probably find a few areas that will need patching or reinforcing to make a good repair. Most CJ's have a rust hole below the J in Jeep and about 6 inches behind that, below the lower door hinge. Most hardware stores and home improvement stores sell small sheets of steel and angle iron for projects.

If you are learning to weld, start your repairs in a hard to see spot. Once you have mastered the proper settings and technique for the welding, finish up in the areas that will be seen.

#7 ·
This is gonna be my first project on my jeep. I've already ordered the replacement floor pans. I've got the rusted spots under he door hinges to and thanks to CJ-7 Tim I won't be ordering the full replacement panels for that I'll just buy some heavy sheet metal and cut it to size and weld it in. So thanx for saving me a couple bucks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.