floor pan replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > floor pan replacement

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughOconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 06-15-2012, 03:33 PM   #1
muddy95cherokee

floor pan replacement

I have a 95 xj 4 door with rotten front floor pans. Don't have money for new pans just going to weld it. Any suggestions on a cheap way to make my own? Also looking for thoughts on rockers that will pass mass inspection?

muddy95cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2012, 04:21 PM   #2
Whobeme
2010 JK Wrangler 

Find a hood for a vehicle and cut the patches out of it.
Whobeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2012, 08:39 PM   #3
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whobeme View Post
Find a hood for a vehicle and cut the patches out of it.
Hoods are a much thinner sheetmetal than foor pans,it'll be flimsy and weak.

18 gauge is about the average for floor pans.

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2012, 09:42 PM   #4
Whobeme
2010 JK Wrangler 

I'm speaking from having done the repair with hoods. I have fixed two Cherokee floors with two left over Cherokee hoods and my wife's YJ drivers floor with part of the last hood and haven't had any issues. There isn't any flex and they definitely aren't flimsy. By the time you fit them and weld them to the floor channels there is very little give. There are people on this board that have seen the Jeeps and can vouch for the repairs being good and strong. Best of all it is cheap.
Unread 06-16-2012, 05:49 AM   #5
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whobeme View Post
I'm speaking from having done the repair with hoods. I have fixed two Cherokee floors with two left over Cherokee hoods and my wife's YJ drivers floor with part of the last hood and haven't had any issues. There isn't any flex and they definitely aren't flimsy. By the time you fit them and weld them to the floor channels there is very little give. There are people on this board that have seen the Jeeps and can vouch for the repairs being good and strong. Best of all it is cheap.
Thats all fine and dandy that you used thinner than original material to repair part of the structure on a Uni-body and Happy with it....

I myself wouldn't do nor suggest a less than original designed material on anything body or especialy frame related on anything,(UniBodies depend on the whole body as structural strength since there is no seperate frame)you generaly want to supercede what was original to strengthen things when repairing,especialy in this case where the original had corrugated bends in them for stiffness/strength for a good reason.

This is why you'll generaly see people doing such repairs go a little thicker than original to put the strength back into it....

The best option other than buying new replacement panels would be go to the local steel supplier and buy some 18 gauge or thicker sheets...the prices will vary in different areas and even different suppliers in the same areas...for example..i am working temporarily with a little maintenance company in Savannah Ga to fabricate and install a few things in a Mica plant that makes Mica and paint pigments for paints and women's makeup...we were calling 3 different suppliers to see who had the best prices for 4'x8' sheets of sheetmetal build a frame and skin it for "reactor" repair,which is just where a mixer that mixes active chemicals together and it "reacts"....
There was a HUGE difference in prices between them..so call around and see who has the best price on 18 gauge or thicker 4'x8' sheets of HRS(Hot rolled sheets)..Cold Rolled Sheets are more expensive because it has a finer process being made and smoother surface for less work to be finished off and painted.

A 4'x8' sheet of 18 gauge around here can be had for less than 20.00..i don't even know if you can buy a used hood less than that if you don't have a few junk vehicles laying around in your backyard...,and being less than original thickness and having to cut it all out off the hood frame..clean it up..prepare it..etc...

The new sheetmetal has no extra work...and cheap to buy new.......

You can also go even cheaper if the floor pans only need spots here and there and get some scrap peices from a local sheetmetal or Fab shop...or even buy or ask for scrap peices from a steel supplier..some will sell cut off peices for pennies on the dollar or even better yet..give them to you for nothing

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 09:33 AM   #6
Whobeme
2010 JK Wrangler 

The stock floor pans are 20 gauge and that is what the hood is on a Cherokee. Sure 18 gauge would be better, but you'll never find it for the price you are getting it for around here, I wish I could. Good tip on the scrap yards, if they will sell it to you. Several around here use to, but won't now. I was just suggesting that if he could find a hood that someone was tossing, you can get a lot of patching material out of it for a little time and next to nothing in cost. I would also suggest welding in the patches rather than, screws, rivets, etc.

For the OP, a lot of good info here. http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=93863

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.