Flat paint - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Flat paint

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-05-2013, 11:50 PM   #1
ChadH
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Flat paint

So my 06 TJ is currently black and I'm looking to paint it. I really want to do a flat green but I also want to be able to put the stickers back on as it is a G.E. edition. The issue here is I have talked with a few paint shops in my area (and there are very few that I can find) and so far none of them will do a flat paint job. When I questioned why they just said it doesn't look good. I'm unsure of what they mean. I want a flat paint so when I go in the woods trees and bushes won't make those nasty white lines in a clear coat paint.

Any thoughts?? I am getting minor rust due to rock dings and need to do some sort of paint job anyway within the next year.

My Build:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/majestic-eagle-1434780/
ChadH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 07:26 AM   #2
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I don't understand why the body shops wouldn't paint it a flat color,it's not their choice what color someone wants to paint their vehicle..

Most people that use a flat paint are for the fact it's easier to fix deep scratches themselves...no matter what color you paint it,it'll still get and show scratches just the same.

Those little white scratch lines you see on clear coats from going through woods and trails are most of the time an easy fix and just surface rubs from the branches and easily buffed out,most of the time its just a residue from the branches itself and a good hand buff will get them off unless its a deep scratch..

The thing about a single paint whether its flat or not,once the scratch gets deep you'll be repainting that area..where a clear coat can be easily rubbed out.

So after all that said,if your set on a flat paint..i'd just do it myself for the fact you'll have to learn how to touch it up or repaint in the future anyhow...flat paints are pretty easy to do compared to a gloss single stage or base/clear

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 07:50 AM   #3
CJATE

Stickers don't stick to flat.

Do satin, it will get the look you want and should not have a problem getting someone to shoot it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
35's, fenders cut
bad paint
leaks just about everything
CJATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 01:22 PM   #4
ChadH
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I would love to paint it myself...unfortunately I don't have any location to do it...or the time. :-/ The other reason I wanted a flat paint is I was under the impression it is a bit tougher. Guess I need to do more research.

As for satin? Not sure about that. I'll have to look into what that's all about.

My Build:
Unread 07-06-2013, 04:24 PM   #5
CJATE

Google it. It's what all the hot rod guys are doing. It's a good look

35's, fenders cut
bad paint
Unread 07-07-2013, 12:08 AM   #6
ChadH
2006 TJ Wrangler 

It does look good. But will my factory G.E. stickers stick to it?

My Build:
Unread 07-08-2013, 05:00 PM   #7
alex492
2001 WJ 

i dont think stickers will stick to flat paint
alex492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 04:10 PM   #8
mjdh_80
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Why would stickers not stick to flat paint? I'm pretty sure this is not true! Haven't personally tried it but I would put money on it that you will have no problem putting stickers on flat paint.
Unread 07-14-2013, 07:39 PM   #9
CJATE

Go try it and report back.

OP, they will stick to flat if you put a layer of clear over it.

35's, fenders cut
bad paint
Unread 07-16-2013, 02:40 PM   #10
DuckRunner09
2012 JK Wrangler 

My old explorer was ultra flat krylon od green... Stickers stuck just fine... I just waited for a very calm day, have it a good cleaning and sprayed it myself in the driveway. Cost $40 and took maybe 4 hours. Paint lasted for two years before I even needed to do any major touch up work. It was my daily driver, hunting and mud truck all in one. I'd say a good 3 months out of the year was spent in and out of four wheeler and log truck trails in pine trees and most scratches rubbed out with my thumb.
Unread 07-16-2013, 03:05 PM   #11
DuckRunner09
2012 JK Wrangler 

Blurry pic but that bright green oval on the grill is a sticker on steel diamond plate painted with the krylon ultra flat. Stuck and stayed just fine.

img_20130716_140517.jpg
Unread 07-16-2013, 06:42 PM   #12
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdh_80 View Post
Why would stickers not stick to flat paint? I'm pretty sure this is not true! Haven't personally tried it but I would put money on it that you will have no problem putting stickers on flat paint.
It all depends on the quality of the adhesive. A smooth glossy surface will always get better adhesion than flat but it should still stick
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 06:50 PM   #13
mjdh_80
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Flat paint doesnt mean textured. I have put down plenty of smooth as glass, flat paint jobs.
Unread 07-16-2013, 08:48 PM   #14
Photog2000
2000 TJ Wrangler 

When I do a flat paint job I just order a single stage acrylic from Napa, and then add a flatener to it that can also be ordered from Napa. The more flattener you add the flatter it comes out. You have to work quickly using this stuff as well because the paint dries rather quickly and can streak if you dont keep it wet until you finish the section.
Photog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 02:21 PM   #15
Nowiser
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I was told that you can add an additive to your clear coat to keep the paint job flat, am I mistaken in this? Seems like it would solve most of the problems
Nowiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.